Monday 14 December 2015

We got a tree!
On Sunday afternoon, following our very special Christmas program at church, complete with the turkey dinner, we were all sitting in the family room at home.  Turkey coma!  Watching a World Curling tour final on tv and being pretty lazy.
Then Walter suggested that we find a Christmas tree.
I've been waiting, trying not to push the Christmas stuff this year.  I tend to get myself worked up and direct everyone when it comes to the Christmas traditions and preparations.  So I've been patiently waiting for the right time for things.  And I guess Walter saw that the tree hadn't been chosen and purchased yet so...
Since we can't all fit into our Jetta cars, and the tree had to be either stuffed in the trunk or strapped to the roof, only 4 of us decided to make the journey to the Y's Men tree lot!  Walter opted to stay back and prepare the spot in the dining room for the tree to stand.
This year, it wasn't a -35 degree Celsius with a wind outing!  So we arrived at the lot around 5 pm, getting dark and only mildly cool outside.  Caylea chose a white spruce, 5-6 feet tall, that only cost $50.00.  Nice.  Daniel and Kevin (Caylea's friend from her tour group), loaded and strapped it onto the roof of the Jetta, while I paid inside the ratty 1970's vintage camper.
We drove carefully to the Chinese food restaurant, where our take-out order was waiting for us.  The tempting aroma of supper and the joy of finding a good deal on a tree gave us cause for smiles and laughter as we made our way home again.
                                   *****                                     *****                       *****
As I wake up on this Monday morning, I am conflicted.  I could plunge into Christmas baking and gift buying...still not finished that!  But we received sad news on the weekend that a school friend of Walter's from his hometown of Clyde, Alberta, had passed away. Age 55.  Hitting Walter hard.  Doug's wife, Wanda, called to ask if Walter would do the funeral service on Saturday, December 20 in Alberta so of course, we will be honoured to support and help out the family.  So, it is hard to get festive when I know the next few days will be focused on preparing for the funeral and being gone for 3 or 4 days, counting the travel days, when all our kids will be home for the holidays!
I was encouraged and refocused when I read some Psalms this morning.  The perspective is so different when I know God is in control.  When I remember a few days away from family is small in comparison to the spiritual impact we desire to have.  He is our refuge; we are under the shadow of His wings.
I will proceed with a few errands and Christmas preparations today, giving thanks that God is with us through it all.  Our adult kids will have special time just for them.  And we will still have several days together for our celebration of Christ's birth.
God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment