Sunday 20 December 2015

How do I express my heart's appreciation for my Father's love and care?
The heaviness of sorrow and the nervousness of ministry were wearing us down.  But we packed our car and headed for Alberta for the memorial service of Doug Malish.
The things we were dreading never came to be, of course.  But we had some car-starting trouble.  And I had both my step-dad and then my grandpa in the hospital within days!  So we continued to pray and press on...
I can honestly say I was about at my end, emotionally.  And Walter was wrestling with his own grief and trying to keep focused on caring for the Malish family.  It was a challenging weekend.
How do many folks go through life's difficulties and tragedies without the hope and comfort of knowing Jesus Christ?  All I can say is that when I was about to give in to tears, self-pity and "Why me, Lord?", it seemed that my attitude turned around.  When I got the text from my Mom about her father being in the hospital, what could have been the final straw actually became almost comical!
I felt the Lord very near, showing Himself faithful, being only a prayer away.  I sensed some of the challenges as ways the enemy was trying to distract or even destroy our faith and our focus.  But when I felt like laughing instead of crying, I knew Jesus was giving me joy and perspective!
Walter also listened to Isaiah on his audio Bible on Friday night, the evening before Doug's service.  It was chapter 6, the calling of Isaiah, and Walter shared it with me as an encouragement that God has called us to speak and sing for His glory.  Just as Isaiah felt so inadequate, so unclean, we felt almost overwhelmed. But the wonderful hope that we can be called and cleansed and equipped for God's ministry, lifted us up and gave us the courage to sleep in His peace.
We are back home now, luggage piled in our room as we relax with our family.  God also looked after them in our absence and now we are settling in for a blessed time together for the Christmas holidays.
"For all that You've done I will thank You;
For all that You're going to do.
For all that You've promised and all that You are,
And all that has carried me through,
Jesus, I thank You!" ~ Brian Doerksen, "Thank You, Lord"

No comments:

Post a Comment