Tuesday 22 December 2015

Nestled in my rocking chair before the shortest day of the year dawned, I stared at the flame in the stove.  Christmas lights twinkled on the fragrant tree right beside me.  A generous pile of pretty wrapped packages lay under the branches.  My cup of coffee warmed me.  I couldn't have asked for a more perfect morning quiet time.
Before I began to journal, I stilled my thoughts.  Only 2 days until Christmas Eve and I had a few things on my "To Do" list.  Many items wouldn't get accomplished this year, like baking my traditional roll-out cookies or the deeper cleaning to prepare for company.  This Christmas I would not be hosting the bigger family gathering so I was cutting out some of the extras.
I really needed to process the past weekend, the passing of Doug, and the close calls of my step-dad and my grandpa who were both rushed by ambulance to hospitals in the past few days.  My heart needed some comfort; my mind needed some peace and quiet.  So indulged myself.
Some great saint, like Martin Luther maybe, used to say that in order to be more productive on a particularly busy day, he would spend a proportionate increase of time in prayer.  And although I was not planning to be busy, I still felt the longing to seek the Lord and really know what the priorities were for the day according to His agenda.
Sometimes I have profound moments in times like these; today was maybe not profound, but certainly exactly what I needed.  I mostly just wanted to let the Lord know how much I loved Him.  And to reflect on His faithful strength to us over the weekend.  His Word just reminded me of how we endured and overcame during some difficult days...
Romans 8:37 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
I John 4:4 "Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."
As the sky grew bright with December daylight, I was so thankful to have had those precious moments to become centred for the day.  The day included planning supper, wrapping last minute gifts, visiting my step-dad in the hospital (and he got discharged later in the afternoon!) and watching "Survivor Finale" with the family.
Only 2 more days until Christmas Eve...

No comments:

Post a Comment