Wednesday 30 December 2015

Although signs of the holidays are still very evident around our home, we resumed some "normal" activities this week.  Mark and Amy left for Manitoba a few days ago.  Caylea went to Saskatoon to visit a friend.  Daniel returned to work.  So did we.
We tackled some correspondence and attended to some paperwork.  I did laundry.  Walter had some car repair to do.  You know, the usual everyday stuff.
Flipping the calendar page to January 2016, we realized in a few days, less than a week, we will be flying to Calgary for two days!  Walter has been invited to present some principles of ministry to folks in Samaritan's Purse.  By divine connections, Walter met some leaders and engaged in conversation about our ministry and experience in the inner city.  Last April, Walter traveled to northern British Columbia to observe and interact with the ministry SP had begun in Dease Lake, a predominately First Nations community.  And then his input was requested at a broader level.
One of the biggest challenges to seeing the Gospel impact these communities, whether urban or rural, is the dependency issue.  Ministry to people who struggle with poverty, addictions and other related issues, means dealing with co-dependency.  Many of us who are drawn to such ministries often have co-dependent tendencies already from our own backgrounds.  Often we were trained in college or through the organizations we joined, to be servant-learners, and to embrace and strive to fit into the culture we were ministering within.  So we may come in to the work with good and godly intentions, but become enmeshed in a relational pattern that isn't healthy or biblical!
There are many reasons why and how the Reserve system, the welfare system and residential school era set up the First Nations people to become dependent on the government and subsequently developed negative relational and social patterns.  The history is important to understand;  but the reality of today is what the Gospel needs to address.  How can Jesus make a difference in lives today? And how do we as missionaries and ministry organizations be effective in sharing the truth and helping those who are hurting?
As Walter dons his reading glasses, arms himself with a fresh cup of coffee and settles on the couch with his books, I am quietly reading, as well.  Last fall I read Emotionally Healthy Spiruality by Peter Scazzero.  Now I am just getting into Replenish, by Lance Witt.  Both are about the health and well-being of Christian leaders, pastors and missionaries so they can be effective and fruitful and long-term in their ministries.  I feel I can be equipping myself to be a healthy servant of the Lord.   I want to be able to offer some resources and compassion for those of our staff who are struggling to keep balance or are burning out.  I want to be developing my own walk with God so I have something to offer in His name.
This past year, I feel myself embracing the role of member care alongside Walter, as we visit our workers in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  I want to hone my skills of listening, observing and building relationships and sharing what the Lord has taught me.  I want to be spiritually growing, emotionally maturing and physically and mentally alive and alert so I can serve "with all my heart and soul and mind and strength."
So as we turn the calendar page in a couple days, pray for us to be equipped and healthy for 2016!

1 comment:

  1. The codependency info is short but well=written, Cindy. Important for all of us to know. ☺

    ReplyDelete