Saturday 26 December 2015

BOXING DAY - December 26, 2015
The past two days have been filled with food, games, laughter and gifts.  We went to my step-mom's apartment for Christmas Eve afternoon and played some games.  Rather than cooking we ordered Chinese food for the 12 of us!  Then each went to a candlelight service or went home (my step-brother has little kids that have early bedtimes!).
It was my turn - and privilege-to plan the Christmas Eve service this year and I was feeling a little anxious and nervous for things to fall into place.  Walter had done some brief interviews with various ones around the church asking the question:  What does Christmas mean to you?  And I had planned some Christmas carols and the Advent reading and a special number so my mind was whirling.
The sanctuary was dimmed, with only white Christmas lights strung around.  It was a wonderful atmosphere for the handful of worshipers to gather and adore the Christ Child.
Apart from a few minor glitches, which are typical of our Healing Hearts services, I think the evening was special and memorable.  Keziah Root sang a solo for the first time ever, and did a lovely job.  The video clip interviews were cute and heartfelt.  The voices joining in the traditional carols (and also the ones we have written within our own fellowship) made my heart swell with joy!  My own solo, "That's Christmas to Me", went all right and hopefully blessed folks with the message of the true meaning of the season.
The highlight for me was the new kids' story Walter developed for the occasion:  Dougie the Donkey!  In memory of his friend, Doug, who just passed away, Walter told the tale of a donkey named Abel who played a special role in the nativity, and his grandson, Dougie, who later was chosen to carry Jesus into Jerusalem during the Triumphal Entry, just before Jesus was crucified.  It was a cleverly told story and of course, made me chuckle to think of Doug being a donkey personified.
After the lighting of our little candles to the singing of "Silent Night", we lingered a little, hugging each other and wishing "Merry Christmas" to everyone.  I love these times!
But the party wasn't over...Dinah and my other step-brother, Lance had the six of us Selkes over for a "Hand & Foot" tournament (which Caylea and Grandma were the victors!) and we didn't get home until after midnight!
Christmas morning didn't get rolling until about 10 am...Daniel was the first one up to start the stove and heat the floor up in the dining room.  We pushed back the table, brought in the love seat and chair from the front room and got ourselves situated for the morning's festivities.  I had quickly prepared the egg bake and mini quiches so they'd be ready for after our gift opening.  With coffee or other beverages in hand, we sat comfortably while Walter played an audio version of the nativity in Luke chapter 2.  Daniel led us in prayer.  Then Caylea and Daniel distributed the gifts and from oldest to youngest, we opened them.  My greatest joy was seeing Walter's surprise and pleasure at the gift the kids gave him: a Remote Controlled Quadcopter!  Who is the biggest kid in our family?
I wanted to stay in that room and pause that moment as we were laughing and sharing an intimate time and enjoying each other!  There would be more food and gifts and noise and laughter and games at my step-brother's, Scott and Jen's and I was looking forward to the turkey dinner.  But for me, the centre of my Christmas Day was the warmth of our morning together.
"But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart."  Luke 2:19
I feel a bit like Mary.  She could have been overwhelmed with the circumstances of delivering her first child.  She could have hidden away from the shepherds and who would have blamed her?  But she (and Joseph) accepted God's plan and welcomed the worshipers of God's Son, the baby Jesus.  And Mary treasured and pondered what was happening.  She let God dwell in her heart and allowed the events to be real.  Most likely,  Luke actually interviewed her years later, as he researched the life of Jesus, so all these things would have been easy for Mary to recall because they were in her memory and in her heart.
Lord, as we relax here at home after a couple days of celebration, may I continue to treasure the blessings you gave to me and ponder Your goodness in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment