Thursday 10 December 2015

Here it is, December 10, and I am finally giving myself permission to "do Christmas."
Caylea arrived, along with a friend, Kevin, from Upside Down Productions.  So, my mother-heart is now free to go nuts with the season's preparations!  I did some baking, put up a few decorations, but with Caylea (and Daniel) home, we have a quorum of our children to choose a Christmas tree and fully deck the halls.  Now that Mark is married, he and Amy join in our celebrations, but aren't always around to carry on some of the traditions.  They plug in with whatever is going on and its all good.
As I blog, Walter is back out in the garage, working on scroll saw creations for Christmas.  I am puttering with supper, decorations and Christmas cards to be sent.  I was listening to the "Pentatonix" Christmas album from last year and learning a song from it to perhaps share in one of our services over the Advent/Christmas season. To quote a Julie Andrews song, "These are a few of my favourite things..."
I haven't been writing as diligently as I'd like.  I am not even reading any specific Advent devotionals like I normally would.  Rather, I am trying to slow down, listen and truly hear what the the Lord is saying to me.  Some days I am distracted and rushed; other days I can sense and know the voice of my Shepherd.  All a part of the human journey in following Jesus.
John 10 is one of my favourite passages where Jesus speaks about His relationship to us.
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep."  Jesus Christ is that Shepherd, who was sent by the Father as the only true Saviour.  Jesus did not sneak in to the world, but came humbly and yet with great miraculous signs to confirm His prophesied coming.  The Christmas story is full of unusual circumstances that are unique and beautiful.  The angels, the shepherds, the innkeeper, the Wise Men...
"To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out."  I heard about Jesus, and His exclusive call to believe and receive Him alone for salvation.  I wrestled.  I didn't want to go along with something without thinking it through.  Finally, one day, I made that choice to accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour and to give Him my life.  I was convinced He was "the Way, the Truth and the Life" (John 14:6).  I heard His voice and He called me by name.
"And when he brings out His own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice."  After several years of following the Shepherd, I have been learning to hear and know His voice.  I was taught to read the Bible and to discern everything I hear and see through the Bible's authority.  Fortunately the Holy Spirit protected and guided me and I have been blessed with wise spiritual leaders who have been committed to the Truth.  What a comfort to know my Shepherd has gone before me everywhere I go...to Bible College, to short term missions, to Regina, to a full time missionary career, to marriage, motherhood...and the journey continues.
Verse 9 "I am the door.  If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and go out and find pasture."  I feel the strong leading of my Shepherd as Walter and I have pursued ministry these past 26 years.  I have not always understood or easily accepted changes in the path;  I have eventually received promises from the Lord when the direction or job description changed and I learned to adjust.  The Shepherd has always provided good pasture for me.  I have been led to green pastures and to quiet waters.
"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."  Oh, we have known the wiles of the thief, the enemy.  He has tried to bring harm, to crush our minds and hearts and even to take our lives!  He has not been complacent while our ministry and our family have grown in God.  But Jesus, the Good Shepherd, has given us abundance!  Finances, vehicles, homes, vacations, opportunities, food, friends, supporters, conferences, fellowship, prayer partners, HOPE!  The list is endless, how God has given us everything we have needed for life and godliness through our Lord Jesus Christ.  He has given us victory when the enemy tried to convince us of defeat!
Verse 14 "I am the good shepherd; and I know my sheep, and am known by my own."  Jesus has been such a good shepherd.  He has known me, known my weaknesses and failures.  He has known my sins and my foolishness.  He has also known my heart and shown me grace to forgive me and continue to heal me.  To know my Shepherd, to trust Him and learn from Him has been my greatest longing and joy.  How precious to be in an intimate relationship with Jesus and to never have to fear rejection.  I belong to Him and nothing can pluck me from His hand (verse 28).  Nothing can separate me from His love.  I will spend the rest of my life here and then eternity getting to know Him more.
May the Lord, our Good Shepherd, call you, lead you and know you in new ways this Christmas season...


No comments:

Post a Comment