Sunday 17 November 2013

Well, the 18-hour alone time extravaganza went fast!  Slept 8 of those hours, spent some time playing my guitar, and the rest of the afternoon driving in the snow/ice of Saskatchewan winter!
But, it was nice to be home with my husband in the evening, enjoying the warmth of the hot tub and the sight of softly falling snow.
I did have an interesting experience that day which made me feel both old but also appreciated for my "wisdom"! I arranged to take a baby gift to a young couple that Walter had married a couple years ago.  They had just bought a house when they realized they were going to start a family.  To find the address, I had to slog through the heavy snow that the city of Regina had not cleared yet.  So, I am driving in a neighbourhood Iwasn't familiar with and parked in front of the correct street address.  A few warning signs flashed in my mind ~the wrought iron fence, plastic sign on the gate and the lace curtains in the front window.  But I double-checked my phone to match the house number-yup 1759!
I rang the doorbell but no one answered.
I got back in my car.  I sent another text to confirm the address and ask for the colour of the house.  No reply.  So I drive down the block and stare at the street signs, which are completely covered in this fluffy, sticky snow.  Can't read the street name at all.  I drive to the next block and take a chance that I am getting close.  I see their car parked in front and then feel secure in ringing the doorbell.
I grab the gift bag and stroll up the sidewalk.  I'm greeted by the new dad, cradling the newborn baby girl and looking surprised.  I said "How are you?"  Hesitantly, he answers,"Gooood.  I guess.  We've been better..." and I glance beyond him to the new mom, who is bawling her eyes out!  "
"Oh, no! I forgot you were coming.  John, let her in!"  More crying.
Do I stay?  Do I drop off the gift and run?  Hormonal mamas may just need more sleep, not a visitor!
But she stood and reached out her arms to me, so I hugged her and she sniffled some.  Right away she grilled me on how to get a baby to sleep, how to get them on a schedule, what I did to get a routine...I was both flattered and flustered by her barrage of questions.  My baby is 20 years old-long time ago!  But, what she needed wasn't my answers, just a listening ear and assurance that she wasn't making big mistakes with their new baby.  So after lots of baby talk and my stumbling through some practical suggestions for baby scheduling (which is really a myth!), I got to hold the now-sleeping newborn while we chatted.
The new dad had disappeared into the basement while we visited.  Enough birth stories and nursing comparisons for him!
I left after two hours.  I felt appreciated for my expertise as a mother and felt that bond that all moms feel when figuring out the journey of motherhood.  I hope I was of some help!
I also felt old...my mothering experience was a little dated and maybe obsolete-babies are supposed to sleep on their backs now and the newest contraptions for wrapping babies in swaddling looked confusing!  But the main reason I felt my age was...getting lost on the way to their house!

No comments:

Post a Comment