Monday 25 November 2013

Grey Cup 2013 goes to the Saskatchewan Roughriders!  How can I NOT comment on this momentous achievement as a Saskatchewan country girl!
Just some trivia about my relationship with the Riders:
1. Born in 1966-the first year the Riders won a Grey Cup Championship
2. Married in 1989-the second win of the Cup by the Riders
3.  2007 - the year our ministry, Healing Hearts, purchased our own building and we threw an epic Grey Cup Party there-and the third victory-a van load of folks from our church drove/walked the Green Mile after the win!
4.  2013- watched the Roughriders climb to victory with my husband, son, sister & Dad in the General Hospital; a sweet victory!

The atmosphere around the city, where the Grey Cup was being hosted this year, truly was electric!  I didn't really attend any events or engage in the activities the week before the game, but newspapers, sports channels on tv, and radio shows were all about the upcoming game.  I went to decorate my Dad's hospital room for the event  about mid-week and couldn't find any "green" balloons, streamers or beads in a Dollar Store in the city! Crazy!
The closest I got to celebrity connections was on Friday night, when Walter, our son Daniel and myself were curling in our Rec league at the local Tartan Curling Club.  Randomly, the Grey Cup showed up at the curling club with Mike "Pinball" Clemons, Rod Black & some camera folks with TSN!  Rod Black commented to us all, "Bet you didn't know you were curling for the Cup tonight!"  Hilarious & exciting!

Now, its the day after the Roughrider victory and how do I feel?  Elated and deflated, I guess!  It was a happy win and double joy to win at home!  But now that its all over, I wish somehow I'd been able to be more a part of it-whether volunteering, taking in a Grey Cup event or even celebrating on the Green Mile!

But hey, no regrets!  I got to see the game, I can buy the tee-shirt and we can watch a rebroadcast with our kids sometime in the future!  The experience can live on...Go Riders!




No comments:

Post a Comment