Thursday 7 November 2013

Sometimes life is just something we do every day.
Waking up.  Making coffee.  Deciding what to wear.  Leaving the house.
I think about my Dad these days as he is confined to his hospital room.  He can't even do those basic things that make up normal living.  
It's hard to imagine that this man ~ who once managed a curling club for over thirty years, spent hours visiting, doodling on his desk pad, making up curling draws and often being the last one to lock the door after a late night bonspiel game that went into an extra end ~ is now having to concentrate on breathing, swallowing, walking and talking.  
It's not hard to imagine his sense of humour, even when he is tired and not really comprehending the gravity of his situation.  He's always been funny, or at least thought he was!  The nurses comment on his determination and drive to improve.  They also warn us that he can be sneaky and tries to do things he's not really able to do yet.  
Some things about the man, my Dad, look different.  He's not the strong and capable man he once was.  But some things are the same:  his love for family, food and playing cards, not necessarily always in that order!
So while I am taking for granted my daily routine, I think of my Dad's new reality and pray.
Pray that life will take on new meaning to him and to all of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment