Monday 11 November 2013

Today is Remembrance Day.
My life today is a reflection of my Grandpa, Tom Sanders, who served in World War I with the British.  He emigrated to Canada, married my Grandma, Elizabeth, and together they farmed and ran the telephone office in Khedive, SK.
I never met my Grandpa.  He died when my Dad was a boy.  But his life impacted my Dad who in turn has influenced and shaped my life.
I never sat on Grandpa's knee to listen to stories of the past, or saw any war souvenirs or medals; neither did I hear his cough, a result of being gassed during the war.
But today, I live in freedom and prosperity and comfort and blessing because my Grandpa - and thousands like him - were willing to stand up for right and truth.  My children have never known war, only the television images or movie renditions.  I am so thankful for the peace we know - that we take for granted - as we live out our daily lives and make plans and dream for our future.
Thank you, Grandpa!
Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment