Thursday 21 November 2013

How do you measure if a day was "good"?
Is it a feeling of peace at the end of that day?
Is it a list of accomplishments completed?
Is it an mere survival of the events and responsibilities that were on our plates?
I am writing this after a day that began with a certain agenda and was diverted several times due to weather and other people's schedules.  So I am left to ponder how to measure whether I had a successful journey today.
If the measure is according to an agenda, I failed.
If the measure is a feeling only, I mostly feel tired so that's not a very reliable measuring tool.
How does God evaluate me at the end of the day?
I believe He has laid out His expectations in His Word. So when my first appointment cancelled out due to the very cold temperatures, I needed to regroup and ask the Lord what He wanted for my day.
Instead, I had the opportunity to have tea with my sister and niece (both home sick today).  I tried to spend time with them, listen to them, hopefully invest in them today.  I fit in some shopping before the next meeting~a belated birthday lunch with my other niece.  Some laughs, some joy, some time together.  Then up to the hospital to visit my Dad and decorate his room for the upcoming CFL Grey Cup game this weekend. More joy, goodness, patience as we wait for his recovery and make the most of the circumstances.
Rush home in rush hour traffic-more patience and gentleness needed-to make a quick supper.  Then a quiet evening at home with my husband and son.
So, not the day I thought was going to happen.
But as I reflect on the people I spent time with, FAMILY, I know it was a day well spent.  If at the end I can measure by the fruit of the Spirit and the Love Chapter, if I cared for people and loved them well, then I think God is pleased and blessed.
The "to do" list and the cancelled appointment can always be picked up another day.
I'm trusting that TODAY was a success in God's eyes and that's all that really counts.
Today was a "good" day after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment