Friday 27 December 2013

It's the "day after" the day after...
We've had three days of celebrating the birthday of Jesus and the riches of these days can't always be measured immediately~
the treasure of the Christmas story,
the priceless value of family,
the strength of faith,
the comfort of prayer.
As I survey the remnants of our celebrations around our home, I want to be like Mary and Joseph who took the time to ponder the marvelous things that happened to them at that first Christmas.  They must have been overwhelmed by their circumstances in Bethlehem:  the strange place for their Child's birth, the odd assortment of shepherds who came to bow before the baby Jesus, the delay in returning to Nazareth. Maybe they didn't understand 'why' it all happened that way but they pondered in their hearts.  They wanted to discern God in the midst.
I, too, am overwhelmed by the bustle of the past days.  I loved having all my children home and the special foods I could prepare for their pleasure.  It was an honour to host the Christmas gift-opening and turkey dinner.  The circumstances were not perfect and every detail was not like a "Norman Rockwell" painting...but I choose today to ponder the treasures of my Lord in the midst of my Christmas experience this year.  I can give thanks in all circumstances because Christ Jesus gives me the strength and ability.  He has blessed me beyond my expectations; I will only understand this when I take time to consider His blessings and discern His ways.
Today, I will tidy those remnants of our celebrations, give thanks for each gift, each decoration, and each cookie crumb, and let the gladness and sadness mingle that the festivities are drawing to a close.
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ."  Ephesians 1:3



No comments:

Post a Comment