Monday 2 December 2013

Christmas memories.
Some of my favourite family memories are when our children were elementary school age.  We started a tradition that each year, one of the kids would get the privilege of choosing the real tree at a tree lot and be able to place the star on its top.  I don't remember who had the first turn-probably our oldest son, Mark; then each year they rotated among the three of them.  And believe me, they never forgot who's turn it was from year to year!
Now that we have a married son living in Manitoba, a daughter away at Bible College in Nipawin and one son living at home, that tradition seems to be fading.
So here I am, at the beginning of December, with the task of decorating our home for the Christmas season. A few years ago, I suggested purchasing an artificial tree. I was met with extreme opposition for that suggestion from ALL of my family, Walter included!  So a real tree it remains.  But who will choose it this year?  And when will we have our special day of decorating, special meal with our traditional Christmas CD playing in the background?
Hopefully sometime today I will venture down to our crawlspace to fetch the boxes of decorations.  I'll bring up a few items and place them strategically around our home.  I won't wait for everyone to be home to prepare our home for the holidays.
The tree dilemna will have to wait a week or two, though, as our kids' holiday travel plans are confirmed.  Maybe we'll have that chance to go to the tree lot-on the coldest, windiest, day of the year-and keep the Selke family tradition alive!
Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment