Tuesday 17 May 2016

WALTER FINALLY GOT THE CALL!
The scheduler for surgeries called Monday morning that Walter could have his day surgery on May 26.  This has been an 8-month wait, with two emergency ordeals lasting 12-14 hours and only morphine and Gravol carried him through!  He has carefully followed a fat-free diet and lost almost 40 pounds since last September in order to avoid any gall stone attacks.  Although this has been a good motivator for weight loss, the trick will be to maintain healthy and low fat meals and snacks once the gall bladder is removed.
I've had my gall bladder out (in 2013) and I must watch some foods.  Eggs and pepperoni seem to have negative effects on my digestive system.  The doctor warned me (and now Walter) that without that particular organ, we may not be able to eat all the same foods as before;  But to have some discomforts will seem mild in comparison to the terrible episode of an attack!
I am rejoicing!
Caylea's surgery has happened and we will hopefully hear results this week.  She is recovering nicely and is not needing the same level of care as a couple weeks ago.  I think I am ready to be nurse to Walter.  Since I know mostly what to expect with his procedure, as I went through it myself, I feel somewhat prepared for his post-op care.
Tomorrow (May 18), Walter has some pre-op tests to do.  Because he is on warfarin (coumadin) to keep his blood thin, he must go on another medication called Heparin which can be regulated easier for operations.  We are home and did not have to change any major plans to make this surgery date work.  Hallelujah!
Actually, I will miss the NAIM ladies retreat to be held at Stoney Lake Bible Camp.  Disappointing but in the grand scheme, I am just thankful that this will finally happen.
Waiting has not been fun.  My patience and my faith has surely been tested with Walter's health concerns and also with Caylea's test results.  Lord, help me faithful in this time of waiting.  Help me give thanks in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment