Tuesday 4 November 2014

As I sit on the 1980’s vintage sofa hide-a-bed in the one bedroom suite in Pambrun, Saskatchewan, I ponder the past few days.  I last wrote a blog article over a week ago about the NAIM staff conference experience in Canmore.  I hoped to write more and give a blow by blow account of the interaction of fellow missionaries in meetings, in worship, in visiting, in play…but it feels like a year ago!
Since being in the beautiful surroundings of the Rocky Mountains, snow-capped and varied in the mist or reflection of sunlight, we’ve traveled home again, gone to another church for Sunday worship, met Quebecois missionaries for breakfast and spent a weekend in Gladstone, Manitoba.  Somehow, I am not in the moment of Canmore.  It is like someone pressed fast-forward and we are now in Millar College of the Bible, immersed in campus life.  Can someone please pause the remote control of my life?
Here I am, sitting across from my husband who has his reading glasses on, a yellow highlighter in one hand and a copy of “Ministering Cross-Culturally” textbook in the other.  What am I doing in this environment when 48 hours ago, we were at a missions conference in our daughter-in-law’s home church?  I almost feel like Philip in the book of Acts when he was transported suddenly from a desert road to Azotus (Acts 8:26, 40).  Our ministry certainly takes us to different communities and environments.  We never know just who we will encounter or what God has for us to do and experience.
Sometimes I am doing special music in front of 40 people in a small-town church.  Occasionally I am on the floor playing a game with little kids in the children’s session.  Then I am visiting with folks and giving out prayer cards.  A few days later, I am sitting in the back of a college classroom.  Then I’m talking with students and engaging with staff members in the dining hall.  Who am I and what is my job description?
For most people, this is confusing.  At times even I marvel at the diversity of roles and relationships I have.  God has given me a gift for small talk when necessary.  I can engage more deeply when needed.  And somehow, I’ve learned to adapt to these environments to connect with various ages and types of people. 
As Walter teaches this class on cultural anthropology, I realize I have become multi-cultural in many ways.  I’ve learned to relate to both rural and urban people, Canadian and American people, First Nations and Metis people, Mennonites and Baptists, wealthy and low income folks…I have made many mistakes and incurred many offenses in learning to relate to all these wonderful people.  But how rich I am for all the relationships!  To enjoy soup and bannock at a Native wake or night lunch in a Mennonite home, I have been blessed to be welcomed into so many cultures. 
I am a missionary.  My job description involves travel and people and speaking and silently praying.  I sleep in many places and take my meals at lots of different tables.  I take my turn driving and hopefully serving my husband so he can minister effectively. 

Lord, here am I; send me!

1 comment: