Wednesday 12 November 2014

In downtown Regina at Court of Queen's Bench, a sentencing is taking place today for Robert Cullen.  He has pleaded guilty to aggravated assault on a woman he hired as a sex trade worker and left for dead by a semi truck.  She was able to climb into the cab and lay on the horn until employees arrived in the morning and called for help.  She survived.
This happened three years ago.  Walter and I were called in by family to pray for this woman in the hospital.  We've known her since she was a teen, over twenty years.  I will never forget her lying in the hospital bed, face swollen, stitched and bruised beyond recognition.  Her hair, with the high ponytail is what identified her in my mind.
At that time, her life was still somewhat in the balance.  Internal injuries and head injuries were critical.  As we prayed, we wondered if this would be the last time we would see her alive.  Then Walter was almost certain he would be the pastor called to do the funeral.  My stomach lurched at the thought!  We had done too many funerals for this family and dreaded to perform this ministry for one we knew more personally.  I remember feeling very hopeless and helpless.  Lord, can You do a miracle to restore her life and bring her out of this lifestyle?
As the judge announces the sentence for Robert Cullen today, my heart aches for my friend.  I have spent countless hours visiting her, playing with her babies, having coffee with her, laughing with her at family gatherings.  Her life is dark and in constant crisis. I long to see her life changed, her children back home with her and a joy she's never known fill her heart and light up her smile.
I can only pray that today will mark another miracle in this woman's tragic life.
I pray for the judge to be the instrument of God to bring justice.
I pray for my friend to call out to her Maker, her Heavenly Father, and her Saviour.
I pray for healing of her wounded heart by the touch of Jesus.
I can only pray...

No comments:

Post a Comment