Friday 14 November 2014

"Where is that piece of paper, you know, the one folded in half and then thirds...It had writing on it?"
If there is one thing that might destroy an otherwise loving and solid marriage, it would be our propensity to lose papers!  Both Walter and myself are paper shufflers and procrastinators when it comes to sorting, filing or disposing of paperwork.  Most times I know where an item may be.  But if I have been cleaning up recently, who knows how my mind decided on any given article left on table, counter or desk?
Quite often, the paper was shuffled and will show up later.  I like when that happens.  Sometimes, a crucial document or piece of information disappears forever-likely placed in the discard pile mistakenly-and we scramble to replace or research what was lost.  Very unfortunate.
This morning, I was on such a hunt for a white paper, folded in half and then in thirds with writing on one side...Walter was certain he had set it on the kitchen counter so he could use it for a Skype meeting right away.  I scoured that counter, all adjacent counters, my desk, the dining room table and then widened the search.  The first round was unsuccessful.  So I made the second sweep, looking deeper this time.  I got bogged down in one major pile of papers, discarded some obsolete stuff, and reported back to Walter.  By this time he was already mid-Skype, so I silently mimed the message with a shrug of my shoulders and an apologetic and sorrowful look on my face.  He waved me away and indicated it wasn't that important right at the moment.
Needless to say, I determined that my task for the afternoon would be to do some "paperwork".  That is almost a punishment or bad word around our house!    Actually, I had tried to close my roll-top desk and was unable to so it was becoming a necessity to deal with it sooner rather than later.
Two hours later, I had sorted our 25th anniversary cards into a keepsake box, as well as the many sympathy cards from Dad's memorial service.  I took the time to read them first.  I gave myself permission to so.  I filled a small bag with paper for recycling.  I filed important reports and records. A small pile was formed "For Walter" which he sorted through quickly.  I even inserted a picture of our wedding and then one of us at our 25th Anniversary celebration into a frame I bought at a garage sale back in early summer.
And now I am typing this blog on my laptop that can finally sit on a clear spot on my desk.
Feeling satisfied with my accomplishments, I will post this blog with the hopes that procrastinators of paperwork everywhere may have inspiration!  We can do it!  We can triumph over the flyers, bank statements and greeting cards that threaten to drown us in their dry waves!
Walter will be home from an appointment soon.  I will try to impress him with my amazing skills of organization.
I just won't mention that the white paper, you know, the one on the counter that was folded...yeah, it never showed up!



No comments:

Post a Comment