Wednesday 21 December 2022

 Have you ever been reading along in your devotional, or through a book of the Bible and that very portion is just what you needed to hear?  You may have skipped a day, or somehow broken the rhythm of your reading plan and yet somehow that Scripture or thought comes at just the right time.  How does the Holy Spirit do that?

I have been following a Facebook Live morning devotional from a First Nations ministry in eastern Saskatchewan.  The pastor has been reading through Hebrews for several months now and I haven't always been able to keep up.  But yesterday and today I tuned in and was so blessed!

Here is what God spoke to me:

Hebrews 12 is the practical teaching in response to the foundation established in the first eleven chapters.  The chapter starts with the word, "Therefore"... so you know it is important to note what was said before and apply it now.  In light of all the author laid out about the Old Testament sacrificial system and the fulfillment of Jesus' death on the cross as the Lamb, now what?

Verses14 and 15 were what struck me for where I am at in my journey.  I mentioned a week or so ago that Walter and I have been on a mini-sabbatical from ministry, taking a break.  We have intentionally been resting, but also examining our hearts to deal with the past and be fresh for the next season.  It has been a time of introspection.  It has been a time of grieving some losses and letting go of how things were.  It has been three months of reading, praying, seeking counsel as well as interspersing fun, travel and pursing hobbies!  (Walter has worked on his VW Beetle rebuild; I put my name on the sub list for curling and got called every week if I was able!)  So here is what Hebrews 12:14 & 15 said to me.

"Strive for peace with everyone and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.  See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no 'root of bitterness' springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled..."

This spoke to me at a time when I have been examining my own issues and attitudes.  These verses are a small checklist of things to look at.  How are my relationships?  Am I striving for peace or picking fights?  Am I seeking to be on good terms with everyone, not just a select few or my favourites, but everyone.  That includes my family, my husband and children, and also my relatives whether through marriage or natural connection.  We have had opportunity to see all of our children and our extended family and take stock for ourselves how we are doing - I have felt good, at peace about where we are at and I trust no walls exist that we ignored or failed to address.  

We even had opportunity to meet for supper with someone who initiated getting together.  They wanted to make sure our relationship with them was okay and we were able to clear up some things.  We all agreed it is not worth holding grudges or allowing bitterness to take hold.  How great it feels to be honest and exchange hugs in the name of the Lord!

Am I striving for holiness?  Have I dealt with my sins honestly?  Is there anything I need to repent of, own up to, apologize for?  I spent some time memorizing the first ten verses of Psalm 51, where David confesses his sin and seeks God's forgiveness and cleansing.  I have journaled and talked with my husband over these months, sincerely trying to uncover any and every hidden thing to bring it to the light.  It has been a difficult but freeing journey.

"See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God..."  I am included in that verse; I must be responsible to obtain the grace of God and not harden my heart to Him or others.  To be forgiven and to extend forgiveness is the foundation for grace, the very act of not holding faults and offenses against others or against ourselves.  Grace is the unmerited favour God gives and all we can do is humble ourselves and admit our sins and then let that grace flow!

"...'no root of bitterness' springs up..." I have done enough gardening to know that roots can go deep and grow underneath the surface.  A weed may be plucked up, but like thistles, the root can break off and up springs another one!  If I have done a thorough job of forgiving, then the offense will not spring up again.  Even if that person does sin against me, or if I repeat a bad behaviour, Jesus encourages us to forgive 70 times 7!  In other words, continue to forgive and let go.  

(A word of caution: if someone continues to sin against us, even to the point of abuse, we must forgive but that doesn't mean we trust them or continue in close relationship with them.  We forgive, make peace in as much as we can, and have healthy boundaries for our safety and theirs.)

The thing about bitterness is that is spreads.  The rest of verse 15 says "springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled..."  Our bitterness affects us, those closest to us and eventually can spread to defile or spoil many relationships as it ripples through.  Soon no one wants to visit us or work with us; and if we have spread a bitter spirit, others will develop patterns of unhealthy relationships.  We can break that cycle of bitterness by forgiving, by owning our offenses against others and apologizing.  We can pray against roots of unforgiveness and bitterness that were modeled before us and break the chains from ourselves and our children.  

"...as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive."  Colossians 3:13b

As Christmas approaches and the promise of a New Year, what a perfect time to examine our hearts and make sure we are striving for peace and rooting out bitterness.  






No comments:

Post a Comment