Friday 2 December 2022

 Contemplating Mary, the mother of Jesus, has spurred me to think of other aspects of her unique calling in life.  Luke recorded many details in his Gospel (chapter 1 verses 26-56) here are a few thoughts that jumped out at me this morning!

Mary and her betrothed, Joseph, were both of the lineage of David.  They were going about their lives in the usual way as most Jewish folks did.  Anticipating their marriage, Joseph was preparing a home for his future wife.  Mary would also have been preparing items for her household.  They lived in Nazareth in Galilee.

God sent an angel to visit Mary!  "Greetings, O favoured one, the Lord is with you!"  (Luke 1:28b)

How did Mary become a favoured one?  Did she do something to be noticed by the Lord?  No, she was not special by anything she had done.  Being in the line of David meant she was qualified according to the promise that a King would come through this family. Mary was chosen and that's all we know.

When she listens to the angel's pronouncement of her calling to be the mother of the Messiah, her response is expected, normal.  "How will this be, since I am a virgin?" (Luke 1:34b)  

She doesn't doubt the angel's message, nor do we see any decrease in her faith in God.  But her mind is going over the realities and practicalities of becoming pregnant.  She isn't willing to compromise her faith and sincerity in following God's laws.  

When the explanation is given and the character and abilities of God are shown through the miraculous pregnancy of Mary's relative Elizabeth, then Mary is faced with a choice.  Will she trust?  Will she believe?

Luke 1:38 speaks to me strongly as I read Mary's reply to the angel.  "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word."

I have been asked to be a missionary, to serve among First Nations people.  I have been blessed to have a husband and three children, to raise our family in a cross-cultural setting.  I have been asked to travel, to go to remote places and help my husband in bringing leadership to a mission organization.  And my response has sometimes been:

*Lord, are You sure it's me You want?

*I am not gifted in this area.

*I get carsick!

*I am afraid I will fail.

*Will my kids be okay?

*Is the pressure too much for my husband?

*I don't want to!

The beautiful song Mary sang reflects her absolute trust and submission to her God. "The Magnificat" found in Luke 1:46-55 will inspire you and convict you - as it did me - and challenge you to say "YES" to God's call on your life.



"Let it be to me according to your word."



No comments:

Post a Comment