Tuesday 6 December 2022

 I am fascinated with names.  The meaning, the origins, the reasons why last names evolved and how people choose the first names for their children.

For instance, my name was chosen after a friends' daughter, Cindy, who would have been 5 or 6 years old when I was born.  And my second name, Marie, was in honour of my maternal Grandmother, Cecile Marie.  

When choosing the names for our children, Walter and I discussed many names.  Of course in the early 1990's, we didn't know whether we were having a boy or girl until D-Day (delivery day!). So I had written different names and combinations of first and middle names on paper.  With our first child, we had no decisions made for either gender when we went to the hospital.  Within a few hours, our son needed emergency surgery and so while the procedure was taking place, we wanted to have his name secured.  Walter had seen my doodlings on paper at home and he remembered the name Mark.  I agreed that would be a good first name.  Then for a middle name?  We liked Christopher but also, since my Dad hadn't any sons of his own as namesakes, we thought Ronald might be a good second name.  So we wrote the two names on paper, folded them and used a plastic dish in the hospital room to draw from.  Christopher was the name chosen.  So Mark Christopher.  And as the Lord set him apart after this surgery, we thought "the mark of Christ" seemed a suitable name.

Basically right after we had Mark, I thought of another boy's name that I liked:  Daniel James.  It was a strong Bible name - both for characters in the Bible who were godly and wise.  Wouldn't you know within 20 months, we had another son!  Without any hesitation, Walter and I decided on that name (it became D.J. for a few years until Daniel started school).  There were two boys in our youth group at that time, one Danny and the other Jimmy.  They thought we had named D.J. after them and we didn't confirm or deny that!

Our third baby was due when the boys were 3 years old and 17 months.  I was almost certain I would have another son, but somehow this pregnancy was different.  I carried this baby in a different position (higher or lower, I don't remember now!) and I felt sure I would be early to deliver.  Sure enough, our daughter was born two weeks early, small but healthy!  I wanted to name her with the same initials as myself (my mom is Charlotte, Grandma Cecile and myself Cindy).  Walter thought Cayley after a town in Alberta was a nice girls' name.  I changed the spelling to Caylea and added Marie for the middle name.  Caylea's name in the Gaelic language is spelled "Ceilidh" and means a party - no doubt!  Wherever Caylea goes, she loves to celebrate!  

How is this relevant to Advent?

When our Saviour was born, the tradition would be to name the firstborn son after the father, or another male relative. In a dream, an angel told Joseph to name the child "Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."  (Matthew 1:21)  Jesus, or Joshua, or Yeshua are all variations of the same name, which does mean "God saves" or "the Lord is salvation."  

The baby born to Mary was special, unique and one of a kind!  Whenever the child was addressed, they were reinforcing His name and His calling: to bring salvation.  And Jesus grew up to be the Saviour of the world, the Lord Jesus Christ!

How wonderful and holy is the Name of our Saviour and Lord!  

"Let them praise the name of the Lord, for His name alone is exalted; His majesty is above earth and heaven."  Psalm 148:13"



No comments:

Post a Comment