Thursday 25 June 2015

Yawn!  Stretch!
Open my eyes to check the time...8:30?
Where am I?
Oh yeah, Whitehorse!  Still seems surreal somehow.
I tip-toe to the bathroom so as not to wake Janet.
I guess she didn't want to wake me either, so was quietly reading in her room.
We had a whole day ahead of us so I didn't rush in getting ready.  Pulling up the window shade, I gaze out at the amazing view of mountains and the serene lake behind the house.  Giving thanks to my God was not difficult when I saw His handiwork and felt His blessings on my life. I sneak down the stairs to find the fixings for coffee (couldn't find coffee filters so fashioned paper towel in the basket to hold the grounds).  A few minutes later, I am armed with a steaming mug and sneak back up to my room.
I take the usual opportunity to begin my day in God's Word and prayer. And then I hear Janet rattling around down in the kitchen, so I make my bed, tidy up the room and join her.
It was lovely to enjoy a leisurely breakfast of baked oatmeal, yogurt and fruit.  The day looked to be pleasant outside, but a few clouds were scattered in the June sky.
Rather than rushing off, we decided to spend some time sharing some of the things we had been reading lately and take time to pray together.  What a rich time!  How often do missionary wives, with children, have the freedom to lounge around and simply fellowship with dear friends?  The next thing we know, it is lunch time!
We made a quick sandwich and headed out to the MacBride Museum in downtown Whitehorse.  Janet wound around the new traffic circle near the subdivision and drove into the city.  We passed several  businesses, made a turn or two and then found the museum located on a main street near the Yukon River.  Inside the main building, we looked at some First Nations bead work and other artifacts of the area. The next section had stuffed animals native to the Yukon:  bears, coyotes, various birds and I think even an albino moose!  In the background was the call of an owl.  No matter where we went in that section, the owl hooted.  Yep, kind of annoying!
We headed out a door to see a boat commonly used on the river in days gone by.  The cabin of "Sam McGee", made famous by the poet Robert Service and various gold rush items were outside in this fenced area. Then back inside to find another whole area in the basement of the old building.  There was a display of Jim Robb paintings - whose perspectives of cabins and people always leaned in an exaggerated style!  We both took our time appreciating the artwork and reading about other artists and personalities of the Yukon Territory.  The north certainly attracted colourful characters!
By this time, my head was swimming with names, faces, and facts about this interesting part of Canada.  And we were only half way done!  We went upstairs and then found another outdoor section with more items from the railroad, gold rush and history of the region.  Another door led us into a whole new area showing typical homes, developments in the city and more write-ups on famous people.  As we neared the end of this winding maze, we realized we had done that entire tour backwards!  Laughing with humour and some embarassment, we made our way to the gift shop and then to the exit.
It was almost 6 pm - where did the day go?  We jumped into the van and headed towards home.  Janet slowed down along that main street as a pedestrian with a pet on a leash crossed in front of us.  We were both busy talking and didn't notice immediately how slow and wandering this pet was making its way across the street.
"That's quite an overweight dog!"  Janet commented as we waited.
"Dog?  I think that's a pig!"  I exclaimed.
Incredulously, we watched and laughed at the pot belly pig on a leash!
Janet had prepared food for our supper and we stopped by her house to pick it up.  We checked in on her family and then carried on to our own place.
Not only was I somewhat lost and disoriented as to what directions we were driving, but with it being somewhat cloudy and overcast, I couldn't tell the time of day either.  I felt hungry, so it must be mealtime.  But everything seemed "off" to me!
Supper was delicious.  We cleaned up our accumulation of dishes and then decided to have a movie night.  Changing into our p.j.'s in what seemed to still be early evening - it was already 9 pm or so - we settled into the comfortable sofa and put on "Mom's Night Out".  A perfect flick for two middle-aged women who could totally relate to that desperate need for busy women/moms to have some fun! Janet fixed us some hot cocoa/chai tea mixture and taco chips and salsa for our snacking pleasure.  We laughed until our sides ached.
Again, we chatted until the wee hours and finally said good night about midnight.  We needed our rest for tomorrow's adventures...


No comments:

Post a Comment