Wednesday 17 June 2015

The Co-op Taxi Cab pulled up in my driveway at precisely 4:30 am.  My hands were already looped into the handles of my carry-on bag and the other piece of luggage hung over my shoulder.  I quickly slipped out the front door and shut it silently behind me.  And off I was on my adventure…
After some light conversation with the cabbie-I was not feeling conversational and he was going off-shift after he dropped me off at the airport-I entered the automatic doors under the sign reading “Departures”.  I walked by other sleepy travellers lined up at the WestJet kiosks and rode up the escalator to the second floor of YQR.  I purchased a pack of gum for the flight and carried on to the security line-up. 
Soon, I was through security and sitting at my designated gate. 
I don’t remember much of my flight to Calgary because I dozed through most of it!  Soon, the captain was announcing our descent into Calgary and I shook the sleepies off to prepare for our landing.  I grabbed my luggage and found my way to the Tim Horton’s.  Our airplane bound for Vancouver was needing some mechanical work so I had time to relax with my coffee and bagel – it was only 7 am!
The next leg of my journey I had my earphones in and was surfing through the TV channels.  I settled on the Canadian series “Heartland” – my daughter Caylea’s favourite show!  We landed in Vancouver before the episode was over but I didn’t care.  I was getting closer to my destination and excitement was building.
I sent Walter a picture from the Vancouver airport – two cool blue-water totem poles in the centre of the concourse.  It was now almost 9 am so I felt it safe to let Walter know where I was and how it was going.  He was up and about for the day and replied right away.  Half-way there.
I wandered around through some construction and scaffolding and closed food stands.  All that was open was an expensive dress shop and a convenience store that carried over-priced word puzzle books, junk food and souvenirs!  So I chose to seat myself and my luggage-whose idea was it to do only carry-on bags?????  I settled in to read my Kindle and gaze around at the various people also waiting for flights.  Soon, I felt some slight pangs of hunger and decided to check out some snack options at the convenience store.  The next flight would be over two hours long and a tiny package of cookies or pretzels would not carry me through! 
And then the blessed announcement for boarding the final flight of my morning.  I breathed a sigh and prepared myself with my boarding pass and passport.  The flight was surprisingly full, with a couple families with children preparing to board, as well.  I walked down the closed walk-way to the airplane and located my seat.  A window seat!  I was awake and excited to see the mountains and the Pacific Ocean from this heavenly vantage point. 
Have you ever found yourself in a circumstance that seems surreal?  The feeling of “what am I doing here” or “am I really here”?  Those questions were running through my mind as the plane lifted at that odd angle and pressed me back into my seat.  I closed my eyes and breathed a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord for this opportunity and for His presence to go before me. Then I relaxed for the next couple of hours, occupying myself with reading, enjoying tea and cookies, and surprisingly picking up the “Heartland” episode right where it had left off 2 hours ago!  I caught glimpses of the snow-capped mountains, the shoreline along the grey-blue ocean and then the clouds obscured my view.  Amazing to think how the hand of the Lord was carrying me north to the Yukon at about 40,000 feet above the ground! 
“Look, Daddy, it’th Mount Thima!  I can thee Mount Thima!”  A little boy seated behind me lisped enthusiastically. 
“Yep, buddy!  It’s Mount Sima.  The ski hill.  We’re home!”  The father affirmed his son’s observation.
I grinned.  I was excited to see the beautiful mountains and a turquoise-blue river emerge through the cloud cover.  My heart began to pound as the tarmac seemed to rise to greet us and soon that frightening/assuring thump of the wheels touching earth confirmed I was really here!  Whitehorse, Yukon!
As soon as I could, I sent a text message to my dear friend, and former roommate, Janet, to let her know I arrived.  I retrieved my carry-on from the storage space above and slid down the aisle to exit the plane for the last time.  12:30 pm and we had most of a day to spend together!  I had no idea what Janet had in mind for our next few days but it didn’t really matter.  My priorities were to visit and catch up on our lives, our families, our journeys with the Lord over the past years…
We spotted each other in the small airport and hugged tightly as only good friends can do!  Both talking at once, we began the adventure we had planned over 25 years ago but could only now make happen.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment