Saturday 6 June 2015

GOD allows us to experience challenges bigger than ourselves to stretch us, to mold us, to humble us, to grow us.
I feel like I am a slow learner.
In my Christian life, I have had to be different in order to follow Christ.  I was the first in my family to go to Bible School and go into ministry as a full-time vocation.  I have gone into homes and social situations that were beyond myself and even beyond my education and training.  I have had to face my personal fears and weaknesses in order to keep going in my spiritual journey.
Yet, I am still surprised and caught off-guard when I find myself facing a challenge.
I shouldn't be shocked when we are preparing to go on a trip and I feel ill, or I question why I am going, or I feel unusually frustrated with my husband.  These are not new strategies the enemy is trying against me.  Sometimes he uses the same old ones, maybe because they have hindered me before.  Worry about our children, anxiety over travel, stress over details...Satan has used those tactics as well, to distract me from focusing on Jesus and the ministry ahead.
So in the past couple of weeks, I have experienced all of the above prior to our trips to Melfort, Loon Lake, Swift Current, Caronport and Creston!  You would think I'd catch on and use my armour and weapon of prayer against these challenges...
In reading Job recently, I found myself realizing just how much spiritual warfare was against God's faithful servant.  The enemy used all manner of attack against Job: taking his children, destroying his livelihood, alienating his wife, cursing him with painful sores.  This was evil, meant to steal, kill and destroy.  Satan has not changed his purposes against God's beloved ones.
But God only permitted the devil to try Job to a specific degree.
God had not lost control nor withdrew His favour from Job.
God seemed to believe in Job to the point that He entrusted the trial of suffering,
I know God has allowed me to experience the challenges that were mostly against my mind, but also touched my physical health, because He wanted me to keep on my knees in prayer.  What kind of ministry, what quality of spiritual impact can I have if I am coasting along and not relying fully on God's ability and power?
Besides the need for me to be reminded to depend on the Lord, I need to be showing forth His nature and character in everything wherever we are.  If I am coasting along, it will be "Cindy" who begins to strive for attention and look for credit and compliments.  When I am experiencing a challenge, I will be hard-pressed into prayer, perseverance, faith, love, self-examination and much more open to the Spirit of Christ living in and through me.
Lord, don't allow me to coast.  I thank You for the challenges!
"Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me;
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me...
Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me."

No comments:

Post a Comment