Monday 22 June 2015

Back in the spring of 1988, my roommate, Janet and myself were making plans.  We were young and single (dating handsome young Bible College grads like ourselves) and dreaming of adventure.  Our plans were not elaborate but they were taking shape and I actually went so far as to make a couple of phone calls.  I had a place to park my car and had inquired about the train schedule...
Janet and I were going to drive to Thompson, Manitoba, leave my car at a local missionaries' home and hop an overnight train to traverse the miles of tundra and muskeg to Churchill!
Alas, Janet's beau took the plunge and proposed to my travel partner.  So the jar she had labelled "Churchill Fund" suddenly became "Wedding Fund"...and our adventure faded as I, too, became engaged and began making wedding plans.
Fast-forward twenty-seven years, as Janet and I drive off in her mini-van to unload luggage and bedding and a few groceries at her friend's home (she was house-sitting so we could have an actual girls' get-away).  Oh, don't underestimate the potential fun and mischief two 40-something women can get into!  We had some lunch and visited before making some casual plans for the afternoon.
First stop, "Farmer's Market" where we wandered from booth to booth.  I was amazed and impressed with the local artists, selling wares ranging from painting, woodwork, jewelry, to home made preserves and baked goods! The weather had been rainy and we stepped around a few puddles.  Under one awning, as we were checking out some antler-earrings, I suddenly felt a cold chill down my back.  Rainwater streamed from the awning down the collar of my jacket!  We broke out in giggles and sidestepped further trickles. I didn't want to leave the market empty-handed, so I chose a container of assorted mini-cupcakes for a snack later.
The day was cool, cloudy and windy so we opted to check out the local library and cultural centre. As both of us have spent the past 25 years in First Nations ministry, we enjoyed the displays about the local Native tribes and clans and customs.  We wandered and talked about the history of Whitehorse and before we knew it, the centre was closing.
We jumped back into the mini-van and headed to Janet's house, where we were going to have supper.  It would be great to see her husband and whichever sons were home.  Their four boys range from 18-25 years old, with the youngest three living with them.  The oldest, Chris is out on his own in a neighbouring subdivision of Whitehorse.  It was great to see Tony and be given the grand tour of their new home.  Back in 1997 when Walter and I and our 3 young children had last visited them, they lived in the community of Pelly, Yukon and we stayed a night with them.  So it was wonderful to once again see their family in their home environment and be blessed by their hospitality!
After a delicious BBQ chicken supper with Brett and Elijah, two of the boys, Elijah offered to take us out to Miles Canyon along the Yukon River.  I was up for an outing.  It was later than it felt, with the sun being still quite high in the sky at 8 pm.  I felt energized and so Janet and I scooted in the front seat while Elijah drove us out to the canyon in his brother, Chris' Vista Cruiser!  We were feeling pretty cool as we cruised in this loud and obnoxious station wagon (like the one in the TV sitcom "That 70's Show").
We took a couple pictures beside the car with a view of some spectacular mountains behind.  Then we carried on down the road to the river's edge.  We parked and walked a short distance to a bridge that spanned the river.  Elijah thought it would be fun to swing the bridge a bit-me, not so much!  He stopped when his mother reprimanded him for my sake.  Thank you, Janet!  The high rock walls along the swift river was absolutely beautiful.  We crossed the bridge, then walked along the edge of those steep walls.  I took a route farther from the edge, while Elijah chose to skip and cavort much nearer!  Once, he actually disappeared over the side, landing on a ledge that was not visible from my position inland and I nearly had a heart attack!  Janet just laughed with amused acceptance at her youngest son's antics.  Raising four boys made her quite used to this behaviour!  Our two boys and even our daughter were not nearly the risk-takers that these northern missionary kids seemed to be!
Who knows how long we were down at Miles Canyon?  Time seemed to stand still.  Elijah graciously drove us back to our accommodations where Janet and I settled in for a cup of tea and our tiny cupcakes.
After being awake since 4 am, a day of three flights and then several hours of activity, I had to call it a night around 11 pm (midnight Saskatchewan time).  Janet had a couple of options for Friday's itinerary, depending on the weather, so we said good-night.  I pulled down the black-out blinds to shut out the twilight, read my devotional book and fell asleep in an instant.
VIEW FROM MY WINDOW
.

No comments:

Post a Comment