Tuesday 28 April 2015

Tonight I am feeling a little heavy emotionally.
Friends of ours are going through cancer battles.  Both husband and wife were diagnosed with cancer in the same week but are experiencing God's amazing grace for their journeys.  I feel heavy only because of the physical and emotional suffering that they will undergo.  They are testifying of God's goodness and faithfulness so I know they are in good Hands!
My heart is heavy for other friends who are in personal struggles.  I feel helpless to help.  My mind has replayed and rehashed conversations and interactions but I have no wisdom or power to change anything!  So I pray.  And pray again.
Tonight, I found such hope during the Ladies Bible Study.  As we read the book and the corresponding Bible verses, I was blown away by God's personal touch on me.  As I had been wrestling with thoughts the past two days for the burdens I mentioned above, I had to stop and intentionally focus on praying against the swirl of useless thinking.  God's Spirit brought to my mind Philippians 4:8 that helped me direct my thoughts to "whatever is true, whatever is honorable,...just...pure...lovely...whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."  And later on I was recalling some incidents and wondering how things could have been dealt with differently.  My thoughts began to turn negative and I felt such darkness.  I began to pray on the "armour of God", starting with the belt of truth.  I saw how the Scripture in Philippians fit with the pieces of the armour and knew God was teaching me valuable truths right then!
So, the verses and topic we were studying tonight was on our mind, how to find rest for our thoughts and bring even our negative memories under the control of the Lord.
Worrying, trying to fix things that are not our responsibility, controlling others and over-thinking problems is such a waste of time!  I am so thankful for how God set my mind on things above (Colossians 3) and then reinforced it through His Word with my sisters in Christ.
Even as I write these thoughts down, the heaviness has lifted and I will close my eyes and pray myself to sleep.  It is good to know God has it all in His Hands.
Good night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment