Saturday 4 April 2015

Easter Greetings!
I am feeling both joy and sorrow.
Easter weekend always evokes this in me.
The Holy Week starts with jubilation as Jesus rides in to Jerusalem on a donkey.  Crowds gather to celebrate the King with shouts and songs and palm branches!
Over the next days, Jesus gives the most meaningful teachings, speaking to crowds and to His own disciples with an urgency of one who knew His days were numbered.
I was reading the account of Mark's Gospel, being reminded of the betrayal, abandonment, mocking and utter abuse of every kind that Jesus endured.  Culminating in Good Friday...another oxymoron in terms.  Good for us, horrible for our gentle Saviour.
Now today is the day of waiting...the Jewish Sabbath when the followers of Jesus honoured God while knowing a funeral was coming.  Mixed emotions for them, too.
I also know the end of the story!  I have to set aside the joy to meditate on Christ's sorrow and sacrifice.  But can't wait for Sunday morning ~ He will be risen, alive, gone from that tomb!
I feel both joy at having my family all home for Easter weekend.
I feel some sorrow at missing my Dad again...another family gathering without him.
But my comfort is in my Lord and Saviour...He also knows the human emotions of pleasure and sadness, celebrations and grief.
Today we will have our family Easter meal and tomorrow our church family celebration.  I am so blessed and want to give my heart fully to the experiences and emotions of this holy season!
Time to get cooking and prepare for the family dinner and all that entails...

No comments:

Post a Comment