Thursday 23 April 2015

I sat in Tony Roma's, chin resting on my fist, dopey grin on my face.
Walter knew what I was feeling.  I guess after almost 26 years of marriage, he "gets" me!
Our kids were sitting around the restaurant table, talking over one another and laughing.  It was Daniel's 23rd birthday supper.  Beside him was his girlfriend of about 3 months, Meredith, and across from them was our oldest, Mark and then Caylea our youngest next to Mark.  The only one missing from our happy family was Mark's wife, Amy, who had to be home to teach her piano students, while Mark was working out at Dallas Valley Ranch Camp with his construction crew.
The appetizers were done and we waited for the entrees to arrive.  I sipped my ice water, while Walter grinned back at me.
Our whole family had just returned from Nipawin to celebrate Caylea's Bible College graduation.  Two days later, we gathered to share in Daniel's birthday.  With adult children, it is rare we can be together for some of these special occasions.  And the fact that our kids want us at their celebrations is a double thrill!
We all drove back to our house for DQ ice cream cake and presents.  Walter took pictures as Daniel "hammed it up" with an Oscar-like acceptance speech before blowing out the candles.  And when I thought the party might be waning, Daniel suggested a game of cards.  Now that is how we usually spend our family times and it warmed my heart that this was his wish.
So, Walter knew my thoughts as I contemplated the noisy fun of our family:  it was my "warm family moment" look and that dopey grin meant I was feeling so full of joy and contentment.  He didn't even tease me about being a happy mama~he felt the same way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment