Wednesday 31 December 2014

The last day of the year 2014~
I always get sentimental on New Year's Eve.  All the memories of the past year zoom by like a movie on fast-forward!  How could time fly so fast?  And did I really LIVE those days to their fullest?
The year began with questions for us:  would my Dad regain some health and be moved into Wascana Rehab Centre?  What plans should we cancel and what plans should we postpone until we know what is happening with Dad?  How do we prepare for the next months, year?
We prayed for God to clearly guide us.  And then we went ahead with some of our commitments.  Walter taught a module class in Millar College of the Bible in January.  We booked a two-week trip to the Dominican Republic in the middle of the month.  On our return, it was evident Dad was in his last days, almost like he did hold on until we were back from our trip.  The very next day, he passed away.  We called our children to inform them of Grandpa's passing.  And then we drove to Shaunavon, Saskatchewan, to deliver the news to our son, Daniel, who was curling in the Provincial Men's Tankard.
I know I am writing this in almost newspaper fashion, but I am feeling the lump in my throat, the emotion of those moments. I am also reliving the grace and peace that the Lord gave us, gave me, to live through those terrible yet inevitable experiences!  God was there, a very present help in our time of need.
We moved on through making plans for Dad's memorial to be in April.  Again, the Lord sustained us and enabled us to carry on with our daily realities.  We traveled and booked visits with our Healing Hearts Staff.  We fulfilled our roles and tasks within ministry and somehow we found strength and joy returning.  God was faithful.
God gave me the ability to see the good, to appreciate the love and support of family and our faith community.  I accepted the role of receiver - not the giver - of comfort and condolences.  I learned to feel the grief and realize I don't do sadness very well!
On June 1, we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows in church that Sunday then having 50+ in our house for a rained out barbecue.  I felt beautiful and blessed as Walter's bride again!  We were showered with cards, gifts and congratulations.  It was such a highlight of the year!  All our children and new daughter-in-law stood with us at our vow ceremony and we long for them to know even more abundance in their lives and marriages.
The summer was spent at our cabin and at two weeks of Bible camp.  We hoped to pace ourselves in order to begin the fall season of ministry with vigor.  Again, we experienced the grace of God to say "No" to some opportunities and "Yes" to others.  Then we celebrated another milestone in our lives: the 20th anniversary of Healing Hearts Ministry in September.  So many significant and emotionally-charged events this past year truly gave us reason to reflect and give thanks to the Lord for all His goodness to us.
The fall was very busy and we saw our schedule almost overlap at times!  Do we need a booking agent?  We just need to coordinate our calendar a little better.  We are still learning...
And now we are after the Christmas season and on the edge of the brand new year ahead.  Where is God's Spirit leading us in 2015?
I praise God for the physical energy and spiritual fortitude He gave us.  When I wondered how we'd make it through, I was never too surprised at my Father's loving care.  He has never failed.
Thank you, friends who read this blog, for your friendship.  I hope this little recap of 2014 in my life can bring hope and spur you on to love and good deeds in Christ for the coming year.
Hebrews 12:2a "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus..."
Psalm 123:1 "I lift up my eyes to You, to You whose throne is in heaven."
Keep looking up; soon He will come into view to take us home! Maybe even this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment