Saturday 28 June 2014

I am sitting on my bed, propped up by pillows and leaning against the headboard.  I can survey the big project I accomplished this past week from this vantage point and I feel pretty pleased. What's the big deal?  
About 18 months ago, Vivian, one of my co-labourers in Christ within Healing Hearts, lost her mother.  Maria Joyea Shepherd had lived into her 70's and had many children and a wide influence over her lifetime.  We attended her wake and funeral out on Whitebear First Nation.  One of the traditions at the funeral service was to have a "give-away", where after the feast, family members bring out blankets, bedding and other gifts to be given to guests who participated.  A huge pile of assorted quilts, fleece blankets, sheet sets, even towels and bathrobes were heaped in the centre of the large community hall.  Everyone was seated around this pile in two or three rows of chairs.  About 100 people must have been in attendance, maybe more.
Because many of us from Healing Hearts were involved in the service, whether as support to Vivian and her husband, Nick, or singing Gospel music or serving as pall bearer or helping in the kitchen, several of us were called forward to choose an item from the centre.  Walter and I were called forward separately, and I felt kind of sheepish to choose two items.  So I chose a smaller package, while Walter randomly grabbed a larger plastic bag with a handle.  We sat back down and tucked our items under our seats, not wanting to appear too greedy.  But others had opened theirs so we decided to see what we had chosen.
My small package was a lavender, terry bathrobe, very soft and cozy looking!  I was quite pleased with it and felt honoured to receive a lovely gift for the small part I had offered in singing.  Then Walter opened the larger item and it was a beautiful store-bought quilt in blue, brown, rust and tan colours.  As I looked more closely, I realized it had pillow shams, as well, all in a geometric Native design.  Walter nodded and acknowledged the gift, but he wasn't as excited as I was.  I could envision this on our bed, to replace the fraying bedspread I currently had.
Shortly after we arrived back home, I began to plan the redecoration of our bedroom.  After living in our four-level split home for over 14 years, our bedroom was the last to see any personal decorating touches of our own.  It was still painted beige, very yellowed looking, with the original grey carpet, now quite worn and matted down where we walked.
So about a month later, Walter decided we would replace the carpet with laminate flooring in a beige, brown, marble design, which would look nice with the new quilt set.  I took off the baseboards and painted them white just to spruce things up.  We had a nice start to our remodel.  Then a week later, I was called in for my gall bladder surgery.  So no more painting the woodwork or walls as I had planned!
Fast forward through our son's wedding, a busy summer at Bible camps and then into September, when my Dad took sick and was hospitalized those four months before passing away.  Finishing our bedroom was quite low on the priority list.
Until last week...in the lull before summer crazy and vacation and camp, I saw a window of opportunity and went for it!  I had already bought the paint, so all I needed was some muscle to help move furniture-Walter obliged!  And in two days, I had not only painted but cleaned, sorted and got ride of a load of "stuff" to Sally Ann!
Now as I lean back and admire the fresh tan/taupe "sandy pecan" walls and enjoy the way the colours in the bedspread are enhanced by the oak furniture and blue curtains on the window, I can pat myself on the back for a job well done.
But then I remember why I received such a lovely gift, and I'm saddened because of Vivian's loss.  But this quilt will remind me of her and I can take pleasure in the inspiration it gave to the colour scheme and the satisfaction of a finished project.
Thank you, Maria!

No comments:

Post a Comment