Sunday 22 June 2014

Have you ever felt so tired that...
you can hardly sit up straight?
your eyelids droop and eyelashes feel too heavy to lift?
you can't laugh because it takes too much energy?
you can't cry because you have nothing left?
I am that tired today.  After a wake on Friday an hour and a half from Regina and coming home to get six hours of sleep before rising to drive back out for the funeral Saturday, I am tired from lack of sleep.  While at the funeral, I was asked to help prepare food for the meal to follow the burial.  Two of us were in the kitchen; then a couple more ladies joined in and a third whipped up a batch of fried bannock.  It was fun; it was exhausting!
When the soup was simmering and the other food prepared and waiting, I was able to join Walter in the gym as the funeral service was underway.  The fatigue stole its way from my shoulders down to my aching feet.  The soft spoken voice of Junior, son of the deceased, took all my energy to hear what he had to say. I was sad.  But I couldn't cry.
I felt blessed and honoured to serve in the kitchen for Richard, known as Hot Shot.  When the final package of food was given away and the last crumb wiped from the counter, I grabbed my own box of leftovers and got into my car.  I drove all the way back to the city, listening mindlessly to the radio.  But the day wasn't over~a birthday barbecue for my step-mom.
I slept well and woke feeling rested.  A cup of coffee and bowl of oatmeal energized me for church.  Thankfully, the Lord gives strength when we have none and I felt His ability in me.  I enjoyed helping lead worship and as we ended with a fast-paced song, "Victory Chant", I felt great!
Somehow I made it through a sermon, then our Annual General Meeting.  Then a pastor's meeting and finally we drove home at 3 pm.
But the day wasn't over~staff windup barbecue at Strasbourg Bible Camp.  The quiet drive in the countryside, through the rain, was both restful and soothing...so soothing we wondered how we'd make it through another social event!
Again, we engaged with our dear partners in the ministry and enjoyed a delicious steak supper with salads, watermelon, and S'More-tillas!  The clouds, lapping lakewater and kids gave us joy and we spent a lovely time together.  As we drove the hour back home again, it felt like the last leg of a long distance marathon and we could see the finish line, the skyline of Regina.
We made it.
It took my last ounce of motivation to change into pajamas and turn on my laptop...
So tired I can only thank the Lord Jesus for His blessings and collapse into bed.
Tomorrow we are taking a day in the pasture, our Monday off...
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment