Monday 28 July 2014

I will do it.  I will climb to the top.
Morning beckoned; sleep was done.
Donning jeans, blouse, socks, shoes, and a hoodie, I left the dimness of the cabin and stepped out into the sunshine.  The air had that early morning freshness.  I breathed it in. Then I strode off the wrap-around deck and through the freshly mowed grass. 
Crunch, crunch.  My feet found the gravel path that led to the hill.  Years ago, our family discovered the hiking trail up this hill.  Being a prairie girl, I was used to seeing limitless horizons and endless sunsets.  So to climb above the flatness of my world and experience a different view was an adventure to me.
The wet spring and early summer caused the grass on the hillside to be knee-high already. It was July.  Quite often, the grass was golden and maybe shin-high this time of year.  I searched for the path’s beginning.  It was grown over but I started up anyway.  There was only one way to go.
As I lifted one foot and then the other through the high grasses, I couldn’t remember this hike being so steep, so challenging.  This first stretch was always the hardest.  I took a break to catch my breath and turned away from the hill and looked out.  I saw the lush green trees, shiny metal roof-tops peeking through here and there.  The air was warming up and I unzipped my hoodie.  I pressed on upwards.
The path wasn’t as worn as in past years.  Did no one take this hike anymore?  I continued to climb, creating my own path.  I stopped again before reaching the first plateau.  Anticipation swelled in my mind and I was not disappointed as I let my eyes take in the beautiful vista.  Katepwa Lake appeared silver and smooth as a mirror, reflecting the opposite shoreline and the white chapel of Camp Monohan in a perfect image.  The sun was brilliant in a clear blue, cloudless sky.  I turned to take in the spectacular sight from the landbridge at Lebret all the way to Katepwa Point, where the beach was tucked around the far southeast side.  Not a boat marred the serenity of the waters. 
As I carried on up to the next rise, I noted the profusion of wildflowers, more than previous summers.  Golden brown-eyed susans, delicate bluebells, soft pink prairie roses, and white wild baby’s breath.  The path had emerged as the grass seemed sparser on top of the hills.  I paused again at the second level and looked out, rising higher than the little crescent of cabins in an open area.   Noticing a trail of dust and hearing the rumble of a semi-truck across the opposite side of the lake, I followed its descent to the gravel road leading to Lebret and then wherever the truck was headed. 
The trail continued down slightly before bringing me to the next natural stopping place, almost on equal elevation with this second level.  I had caught my breath and strolled on easily.  I had wrapped the arms of my grey hoodie around my waste and tied them together.  The morning coolness gave way to what promised to be a hot July day.  I could hear various birdcalls down in the valley and up ahead in the bluff of trees near the field.  I was almost to the very last plateau.
I used to challenge my young kids to a race to the fence “finish line” that separated the field on the prairie once again.  I smiled, recalling how competitive they were!  Did I ever beat them to the fence?  Doesn’t matter-they’d beat me now!  Sweet, sad memories of their childhoods and proud motherly emotions filled my heart as I thought of them as the young adults they are today.  I didn’t bother going all the way to the fence, which had very tall grass growing along its length.  I spied a large, flat rock and chose to sit and be thankful.  Prayers rose from this special spot.  The peacefulness was like a sanctuary where only me and my God were meeting.
Reluctantly, I stood and looked out over the Qu’appelle Valley before beginning my descent.  How to end such a holy moment?  As I strolled back over my path, I saw birds flitting and landing on some bushes on the side of the hill.  My eyes focused more closely; Saskatoon bushes!  A few berries were ripe and I picked a couple handfuls, gently dropping them in the pocket of my hoodie. They would taste delicious with yoghurt and granola.  I suddenly realized I was hungry and could sure use a coffee!
My hike down the hillside was much quicker with breakfast on my mind.  I had to be careful not to gain too much speed on the steepest portion.  My final glimpses of the still-calm lake below thrilled my soul!  An inspiring genesis to this day of vacation…God is great!  I hummed the chorus on my way back to the quiet cabin…

“God is great and His praise fills the earth, fills the heavens and His Name shall be praised in all the world.  God is great; sing His praise, all the earth, all the heavens ‘cause we’re living for the glory of Your Name, the glory of Your Name!”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cindy....what a restful piece this was to read... inspiring praise and thankfulness of my own as I read it. Bless you my friend...

    ReplyDelete