Monday 6 January 2014

I sat in the second last desk against the wall.
Two or three students sat quietly, laptops opened and a couple books stacked on their desks. The fluorescent lights glared brightly while the sky was black outside. A few more people trickled in and the noise level grew.
My husband, Walter, sat on the table at the front of the room, travel mug in hand, smiling.  He had expected maybe 15 or 20 to sign up for the class; 60 was the final count. The desks were filling up. Finally, one last student slipped in the back door as the clock above it showed precisely 8 o'clock.
It was time.
The room became silent as Walter stood.  He grinned even more.  Everyone was eagerly and attentively awaiting this new adjunct teacher's first words in the "Intro to Urban Ministries" module course.  I, too, was waiting to hear how he would open his first ever Bible College class.
It went something like this:
"Wow!  It's good to see so many of you here!  How many of you- at this time last week during Christmas break -would still be sleeping right now?"  Most hands went up.
"Yeah, me too!  One of my concerns when I was first asked to teach this class was how relevant would the school schedule be to my urban ministry culture?  8 am?  I don't usually do this early in my real job!"
And off he went.  We were both a little nervous and excited to have the opportunity to speak to young impressionable minds about the ministry we love.  Soon, both teacher and students were fighting their way through yawns and sleepiness to engage the topic at hand.  After introductions and definitions, we were all able to interact more with the issues of urban ministry.
As I sipped my coffee and scanned the room, I wondered why I was here?  I wasn't teaching.  I wasn't an official learner.  But I thought I could be of some help as part of the grading was for class participation.  With so many signed up, I could assist with remembering names and comments.  I could also be a sounding board outside the classroom as Walter prepares his material.
But the most effect I think I can have is to pray.
Without that prayer covering and support, Walter's teaching would just be information and education.  I know his heart is to impact these young adults with truth and life-changing principles that will transform their ministries!  By prayer, I can serve and bless both my husband and his class.
Let's just hope we all can stay awake.
More coffee, please!



No comments:

Post a Comment