Thursday 9 January 2014

I came to a full stop at the intersection.
The road was a dead end at a field.  I signaled right onto the secondary highway out of the town of Pambrun and shifted into second gear.  The sun was shining, the white snow was glistening and the road was stretching ahead of me.
I've been in the classroom with Walter each day.  I've walked from the house we're staying in this week, to the sidewalks that lead to the classroom building and then to the dining hall.
So it felt liberating to drive away from the small world of the Bible College campus on a little adventure by myself.
I shifted all the way up to fifth along the clear and empty highway.  Not a soul seemed to exist in this corner of Saskatchewan.  Just me.  And Jesus.  In a Jetta.
In the corner of my eye, I saw something orange against the whiteness of snow in the ditch.  I slowed down, focusing on the furry creature digging for something, then moving as my car scared it off.  A beautiful fox, with a healthy, fluffy tail  headed away from the road.
Thank You, Lord, I whispered.
I  love the sight of wildlife.  Something about the innocence and purity of nature stirs my heart. Renews my mind.  Lifts me.
I drove along, looking for the landmark of a farm with a yellow house on the left and a curve in the road.  I was to turn right there on the grid.  About 13 kilometres along that road would lead me to the small town of McMahon.  The grid was mostly clear of snow, a couple drifts that had vehicle tracks broken through them.  I sped up to about 80 km/hour and enjoyed the scene around me.  Just me with my thoughts and prayers.
At the top of the power pole on the right side of the road, a huge snowy owl was perched.  Completely still, this magnificent bird sat and surveyed the open field.  I wished I could pull over and just stare at it.  But I had a coffee date up ahead.  They were expecting me at ten.
I kept driving, looking around to see if I could spot any other wildlife.  Just a few poles ahead, I did see another snowy owl, a little smaller with a bit more grey mixed into the white feathery covering on its body.  Amazing.  Regal.  Glorious.
This may seem small and insignificant.  A fox and two snowy owls.
To me, they were gifts that my Heavenly Father gave just for me.  No one else was with me in the car and no one else seemed to be on the lonely country road.
I just smiled to myself and sang a praise song.
I enjoyed the warmth of the winter sun low in the southern sky.
Just me.  And Jesus.  In a Jetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment