Tuesday 24 March 2020

     My normal life rhythm has existed of going flat out, then stopping.  For three years now, we have spent a week or two in Prince Albert every month, plus travelling across Canada to visit missionaries.  We have been going steady, with catch up days at home in between.  Some days off interspersed here and there have given us some rest.  We have taken vacation time, plus family time for the special holidays.
     Now here we are, in self-isolation, working from home.
     I thought it would be so relaxing.  The very thing I longed for, extended time at home to do whatever I wanted with no responsibilities beyond what I can accomplish around the house or on the computer.  But it's not as easy to "take it easy" as I hoped!
    One morning this week, I read Psalm 46 as part of my devotional time.  It had been referenced in a sermon I heard and it kept coming back to my thoughts.
"Be still, and know that I am God..." verse 10
     Although I had been longing for such an opportunity as we are experiencing with COVID-19, I am having a really hard time being still.  The pace we have had makes me anxious to do something.  I feel restless and antsy.  I especially miss the connection with people face to face!  When I am having a quiet time, it is so easy for me to be distracted, to feel my day stretch out with no specific structure and I feel at loose ends! AAAAHHHH!
     My prayer is to learn to be still.  To quiet my mind, to calm my soul.  I truly want to seek the Lord and know Him, to know my God.  The rest of that psalm is so rich and fits our global circumstance.  The world is in chaos; the nations are in turmoil.  People are fearful and it isn't always bringing out the best in humanity!  We need God.
"God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved."  verse 5
     This verse brought such comfort to me.  God Himself is with us, in our midst through this crisis.  Whether the virus touches us directly or affects us only through the current restrictions, God promises to be our refuge and our strength.  He is our very present help in trouble.  God has not changed and He continues to dwell with and be intricately involved in the lives or His people.
    He is a God worth knowing.  And I am choosing to press on to know Him more.


No comments:

Post a Comment