Sunday 22 March 2020

"...when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love...Therefore be imitators of God, beloved children.  And walk in love..." 
Ephesians 4:16b & 5:2

     Sunday morning.  The city of Regina has banned public gatherings of more than 5 individuals .  So we are self-isolating in our home when normally we would be heading to church.  Weird!
     My freezer has plenty of homemade deer sausage and other types of protein.  Our pantry has non-perishable items to last quite a while.  Our fresh items in the fridge will last a few days, but we are set.  And I still had quite a stockpile of toilet paper from Christmas so that's not a panic!
     There is a restlessness in me.  Just knowing I should not leave the house, or cannot meet with my fellow Healing Hearts church family, makes me feel unsettled.  Off.  Just being honest.
     Walter found a livestream church service online and we enjoyed some very uplifting worship music, Scriptures and words of encouragement about the hope we have in Christ even during a pandemic.  And the message given by the preacher was solid teaching from Ephesians chapter 4.  That is what I want to share today - what God is showing me through this strange time that is affecting our global community.
     "And He gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, building up the body of Christ..." 4:11 & 12
     I get excited reading about the church and how God wants her to function.  Even after 39 years of serving Jesus and being part of churches, I still look so forward to being involved and attending church worship services.  Not going to church this morning made me feel odd and empty.  It's more than a habit, but a longing of my heart to worship and fellowship.
     The Church, God's people, the body of Christ, are all interchangeable terms to describe those of us who follow and serve Jesus Christ.  I am very humbled to be part of such a noble and unique family.  And God gave these 5 main roles so that churches can be started and established in every nation.  God's only program is still to have all of us as Christians to spread the Gospel and see disciples made among every people group around the globe.  (That is the real "pandemic" that God wants to infect us with - to be filled with His Holy Spirit and have Jesus reign in our hearts.  Not my focus today!)
     The saints are to be equipped "for the work of ministry" as verse 12 explains.  We all have a part in the body to build up the body.  The 5 roles listed have specific giftings and responsibilities, but that doesn't mean they are the only ones in God's Kingdom to be ministering.  It is not an exclusive club who professionally minister.  Some of us happen to be in ministry as a vocation, but that doesn't exclude everyone to share the gifts God has given them to reach the world and bless the church.
     "...until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ..." 4:13
     Is the church just a nursery class?  Is it a daycare centre?  NO!  We all start as baby Christians, but the goal is that we grow up.  Many times the Bible addresses immature believers and tells them to stop drinking only milk, but to eat meat.  Don't stay the same.  Be changed by Jesus.  Learn how to be mature and responsible, just as we who are parents all teach our kids how to be adults.
    What are some of the signs of maturity?  Verse 13 above lists four that I notice.
1.  Unity of the faith
2.  Knowledge of the Son of God
3.  Maturity
4.  Fullness of Christ
     Here's where my gift and love of teaching comes in:  I like having specific points and explaining how they can apply to real life!
     Unity is an obvious sign of growing up.  This means we don't function as a self-focused individual, but become part of the body.  We may not always agree and think exactly the same as everyone else in our church, but we can be one, with the same purpose and priorities as our fellow believers.
     Knowledge is not just facts and information.  Knowing Jesus, the Son of God, is a relationship with a person.  Knowing Jesus means we connect with Him, hear Him speaking to us, which is another way of saying we pray, listen and read His Word to increase our understanding of Him.
     Maturity involves growing up, becoming outward focused, taking responsibility, committing to serving in our church, tithing and caring about others more than ourselves.
     Fullness of Christ is deep and I won't be able to adequately unpack all that can mean!  But simply put, measuring our maturity against the standard of Jesus - impossible to reach on our own strength - and being like Him more and more in our everyday life.
     Which brings me to what I feel God wants me to do as a grown up Christian during this pandemic and self-isolation season...
     God wants me to pray.  There are a lot of people, Christians and non-believers who are freaked out by all of this stuff!  There are medical people dealing with the virus head-on.  There are government leaders and church/mission leaders who have difficult decisions to make.  Lots to pray about!
     God wants me to shine a light on social media.  I want to counter act the negative and fear-based posts out there.
     God want me to have wisdom.  I won't take unnecessary chances in getting infected or spreading the virus.  BUT I will serve and help out where needed.  Contact me if you need something and I can help.
     God wants me to take care of my family.  That's my first priority in a practical sense.
     God wants me to continue to serve as a missionary along with my husband.  We aren't taking a break from our leadership unless the Lord directs us to.  Our ministry might look different as we travel less and do more from home. 
     BE BLESSED, my family and friends. The whole thing is to keep serving in LOVE!  That's what my opening verse is intended to convey.  God loves us and wants us in turn, to love others!
   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment