Tuesday 18 April 2017

Today, I was thinking about the day/week ahead and Philippians 4:13 came to mind.  I looked it up and scrolled through the various biblical translations and versions available.  The Amplified Version caught my attention and here are some thoughts that I had on this verse.

"I can do all things [which He has called me to do] through Him who strengthens and empowers me [to fulfill His purpose - I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency; I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace.]" 

I liked the part in brackets which described the "all things" as what God has called me to do.  God has ordained works for me.  He has a path chosen for me.  He gives the strength and power for me to  endure whatever His will is for me.  Not my own foolishness or sinfulness.  Although He does show us mercy and draws us back to Himself and His will if we get off track.  It is a good reminder to keep in tune with what He wants for me and be submitted to His will at all times.
Another point a friend on Facebook reminded me of is that His strength is for me to be content.  The greater context of Philippians chapter 4 is that Paul had been in many kinds of circumstances, some of which his needs were abundantly met and others where he was in want.  He was often hungry, exhausted, exposed to the elements or in unpleasant and abusive conditions!  But He could do anything that God called Him to as Jesus gave him strength and power to be content.
The last phrase in brackets caused me to go back and reread the words to really soak in their meaning.  "...who infuses me with inner strength and confident peace."  I imagined a misty presence filling me softly and gently with ability deep inside, not just a surface performance.  And the confident peace that God was in control and everything was going to be okay.  I can honestly say I have felt this in the weeks when I drove Caylea to the cancer clinic and sat with her during her IV treatments of Interferon.  I wasn't grossed out, or afraid, or dreading the daily trips.  Although I had moments of fear or dread, I did experience that peace and determination which I know was of the Lord, not me.
Thank You, Lord, that Your Word is true.  Not just because I have experienced it but because Paul, and so many others in all of human history have known this Scripture to be true, as well.
I take this promise also for the days and weeks ahead...with Caylea's continued journey, with our new ministry role with NCEM, and with all our family will go through as life unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment