Sunday 23 April 2017

Praying for wisdom is not a new thing for me.
Memorizing the book of James when I was in youth group imprinted on my mind the necessary to ask God for wisdom.  James 1:5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all..."
Reading through Proverbs is not new to me at all, either.
I have read the book of wisdom several times in my Christian life and continue to learn from it every time.  Studying it in Bible College reinforced that becoming wise begins with "The fear of the Lord", not just a book learning of wise says.
Some new gems I have learned reading through Proverbs recently have stirred me up!
I see how urgent Solomon was in sharing these words with his son.  Chapter 1 verse 8 says, "Hear my son...and forsake not... My son, if sinners entice you, do not consent."  The advice he gives is vital to his son's success in life as an adult.  It is apparent that Solomon wants to spare his son from the consequences of a foolish life.
Wisdom is learned by turning away from sin.  Proverbs 1:23 states, "If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you."  The Lord will give understanding of His Word by His Spirit as we respond in repentance to correction or reproof.  It is simple;  it is not necessarily the easy path to wisdom!  It involves engagement of the whole person.
In Chapter 2, I gained a new realization that seeking wisdom is not only to gain knowledge for its own sake, but to "find the knowledge of God."  It is to KNOW Him, the giver of this wonderful wisdom.  And in knowing God, we are protected.  Verse 7b reveals that "He is a shield to those who walk in integrity."  Living a life following God's wisdom will guard us and will deliver us from the way of evil (verse 12).
Thinking of this advice in the light of eastern culture, a strong honour and shame worldview, I see how one's reputation and place in society matters deeply.  To be known as evil, perverse, unjust and unrighteous was not acceptable.  And especially in the Jewish culture and heritage, to "walk in the way of the good and keep to the paths of the righteous" was a high honour.  (verse 20)
This morning, I read the first 12 verses of Chapter 3 and immediately noticed the word "heart" 3 times!  "My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments..."  Having wisdom is a heart thing, not a behaviour thing.  Having God's wisdom means having a character of integrity, right down to heart level.  "...write them on the tablet of your heart."  And finally, do not attempt to live your life on your own terms, with your own efforts.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart..." fully lean on His understanding, His truth.
I got excited when I read those verses before church.  This is the essence of Healing Hearts Ministry: to see the very heart of every person be set free and filled with God's presence.  Having trust restored and keeping God's commandments with a healthy, healed heart is such a joy!
I can't wait to see what more the book of Proverbs will show me in the weeks to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment