Friday 23 December 2016

Today I did the last of the baking I was going to do for Christmas.  I made apple kuchen, a Selke family tradition. It is a sweet bread dough rolled out into a 9 X 13 cake pan, then topped with sliced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and a bit of cornstarch to thicken.  Then I bake it for about 1/2 an hour.  We often eat it for Christmas morning brunch and as general snacking along with other baked goodies.
The other dish I made today is the red cabbage recipe, which is a Sanders family tradition.  I saute chopped bacon pieces and onion, and add it to a dutch oven of sliced red cabbage, add a bit of water, juice from pickled beets and brown sugar.  I let it simmer until it is all soft and the flavours combined well.  It is nice made a day or two early, as by the time it is heated again and served, the taste sensation is delightful!
This year with Christmas falling on Sunday, we have a busy weekend ahead.  Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, so we plan to sleep in, have a late brunch and then head over to my step-mom, Dinah's apartment for cards and fun.  We'll order chinese food and have an early supper.  Then Caylea, Daniel and I must be at the church for 5 pm so we can practice for the candelight service which begins at 6 pm.  Usually the service is no longer than an hour, so we will have a nice time of worship and then head back to Dinah's for more snacks and card games.
Then Sunday morning, we will get up, have our family time and then head to church for 11 am.  Sometime after that short service, we will be spending Christmas day at my brother, Scott's and his wife Jen's along with their kids, and my sister, Paula.  My brother, Lance will also liven up the party; well, he is the quiet one among us all!  The hosts will prepare the turkey and potatoes.  The rest of us will bring the side dishes and desserts.  Grandma Dinah always brings the homemade buns.
I have been reading in Matthew's account of the birth of Christ.  We learn a lot about Joseph in this Gospel.  Although Mary experienced God in an unusual way, Joseph also went through strange things in order to do what was right.  He obeyed God's commands and directions through angels and dreams.  He protected Mary and the baby Jesus when in danger.  He followed what God asked of him, even to naming the child.  "And he gave Him the name Jesus." Matthew 1:25b
How precious that Name is to me!  This week in my personal worship and devotional time, I sang the hymn "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" and was struck by the authority and power and impact of His name.  Verse one expresses this so clearly:
All hail the power of Jesus' Name, let angels prostrate fall;
bring forth the royal diadem and crown Him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem and crown Him Lord of all.
Tonight, before the activities begin in earnest, I take time to meditate on the wonderful Name of Jesus, and adore the One who is Lord of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment