Friday 1 July 2016

Caylea had her second surgery yesterday, June 30.  All went well.  She said it seemed longer to be put under this time.  She mentioned to the anesthetist that she had trouble with nausea after coming out of surgery last time, so they began the Gravol earlier and she experienced less/shorter duration of nausea this go around!
Walter and I had the post-op procedure down smooth-I went up to the Day Surgery ward and went through Caylea's discharge.  She was already dressed and had downed her popsicle by the time I arrived.  Walter waited down in the drop-off spot in front of the hospital and we wheeled down.  I texted the group of family who were waiting news and the replies started coming in...
I had the "recovery recliner" prepared for Caylea and she settled in right away to rest.
Walter's sister Karen, and her husband Bob arrived mid-afternoon.  They had planned to come this July 1 long weekend and we saw no reason to change those plans.  So they quietly greeted Caylea and then we prepared a BBQ burger supper.  The evening's entertainment was to visit and watch the Roughrider home opener football game.

*****
To switch gears, I want to write about some thoughts I've had while reading through the book of Acts.  As Paul and Barnabas were sent out in chapter 13, I can relate to that call.  I remember clearly the steps I went through to become a missionary.  I prayed and sought God's will.  I went through other options and listened carefully to the visiting missionaries at Bible College.  I felt a growing impression of the needs in the world and the compelling strategy that God calls US to be His witnesses...the Scriptures seemed to jump out at me that pertained to missions, ministry, the Gospel message itself and I sensed that personal challenge to me:  what was I going to do about this Great Commission?
I was willing to go as a single woman.  The mission I was interested in applying to would send single ladies (partnered together) to communities and I was excited at the possibilities to reach out to the lost!  I finished my Bible School program with a Pastoral and Missions certificate.  I had student loan debt to repay so I knew I would need to work a couple years to pay that off before joining a mission.
Although my parents weren't exactly sure what I was heading into, they watched as I got involved in a local Native ministry in Regina, helping with Sunday School and music.
As the Lord would have it, I wasn't to remain single!  Walter was finishing his final year at Nipawin Bible College.  He had also gone on a summer missionary program in northern Manitoba (I went in 1985).  His calling was more into camp ministry initially, but he also grew in his calling to preach and counsel.  He followed me to Regina, where we both got more involved in the local ministry and built friendships within the First Nations community.  It seemed expedient to stay in the urban environment as many First Nations were moving into the cities for work and education and resources.  The Lord called us together.  We applied to NCEM while we were engaged and began to raise support and prepare for full-time ministry right after we were married (1989).
I remember the leadership of Crossroads Community Church laying hands on us and sending us off into the mission field of Regina, Saskatchewan!  Young, in love, full of vision and enthusiasm and answers (ha ha! How wise we were back then!).  God led us in spite of ourselves.
There was opposition to our ministry right from the beginning.  Just as Paul and Barnabas faced spiritual warfare, we faced various attacks against our marriage and our ministry.  At the same time, we learned how to battle and overcome, how to remain one and recognize the enemy's tactics to divide and conquer!  And the Lord blessed us with friendships that we still have to this day with coworkers and those we met and discipled in our early years.
We didn't experience the physical opposition nor suffer and fear for our lives to the extent that Paul did.  We have not faced prison for sharing our faith in Christ!
This is what I prayed for and continue to desire:  "And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit...and there they continued to preach the gospel....they returned...strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith.  And when they had appointed elders for them in every church, with prayer and fasting they committed them to the Lord in whom they had believed."  (chapters 13 &14)
This is what we do!  We aren't church planting in Regina anymore; we have leaders appointed and they are carrying on the local ministry.  Now we travel and encourage leaders in various places, supporting and giving counsel and providing administrative resources to empower their ministries.  And just as Paul and all the Apostles faced doctrinal and practical struggles, with culture and other factors working in the Gentile communities, we too face these challenges and pray for God to give us His wisdom for every situation.  (Chapter 15)
A sad portion in the book is where Paul and Barnabas parted ways for a time.  We also have had to part ways with ministry partners and that is probably the most difficult and heart-wrenching aspect of our work.  We don't always get along or agree with everyone in the ministry!  But we pray that we will be faithful to God's calling, kind and gracious when disagreeing and humble when going different directions.
We also recognize and enlist workers for the Gospel (Acts 16) such as Timothy, Silas, John Mark) and that is probably the most exciting aspect of our new focus these days.  Our focus in NOT to seek out to recruit.  But as we are going, as we are traveling and meeting people in churches and Bible colleges, there are believers ready and willing to serve and just waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.  We get to know them and hear their heart.  We build relationship and then consider extending the invitation to work together.  Its not built on resume and educational achievements. Character and call and commitment are the qualities we look for...it seemed Paul and Barnabas looked for those same qualities and took young proteges under their wings to disciple and train like "interns", which we encourage in Healing Hearts.
Its been cool to read the accounts of Peter, Paul and others as the Gospel was being introduced to new regions and people groups.  We in the 21st century are still on new frontiers and the same Gospel can still change lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment