Friday 6 July 2018

Well, we had a few nice days lazing at our cabin at Sandy Beach, Katepwa Lake.
Then it rained.
Not that we couldn't have stayed indoors - I had plenty of reading material and Walter had his computer!  But Walter couldn't rest knowing the rain was also pouring in the city...and we had an unfinished shed needing attention.  The basic walls were up and the roof was covered with tin.  The problem was the slope of the roof without the eaves troughs to catch the water would mean it was flooding into our neighbours' yard!
We drove back to the city, leaving some groceries and our bedding, fully anticipating we would be back in a day or two.  By the second evening home, we did complete the projects needed for the shed to function adequately.  I got some errands done and was able to visit Dinah, who is now home after her surgery.  In my mind, I was gearing up to return to the lake and enjoy more of our vacation.
When Walter checked the weather, it was to be +34, a regular heat wave throughout the southern part of the province.  It was wise for us to stay in our air conditioned house and just relax with the comforts of the CFL on TSN!  Taking advantage of the hot weather, I spent some time writing, editing my next devotional book.  I also opted not to cook so we drove to a favourite Chinese Buffet place nearby.  Walter was able to putter in his cool garage and made a picture frame of barn wood.
Nice to be in a holiday mood!
The Bible reading and devotional I read this week reminded me that our plans don't always come to pass.  I think I was so set on a perfect vacation, relaxing at the lake and having uninterrupted days to do whatever I wanted that the rain and the shed project and even phone calls felt like intrusions!  In Proverbs 16:9 - "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps."
Yep!  Over and over, I have experienced this truth.  I may set a course but many times that course gets diverted.  And God somehow has His way either through my plans or in spite of my plans!  So even with vacation times, we may have a place and time and itinerary but it seems we are at the mercy of God's sovereignty.  The weather?  Not in my control.  Letting God have
His way?  I can do that!


No comments:

Post a Comment