Tuesday 3 July 2018

"I can't believe it!  I just had it!"  Walter exclaimed as he patted his pockets.
"Let's retrace our steps," I suggested and we drove from the Co-op grocery store back to the Dollar Tree in Fort Qu'Appelle.  On our second day of vacation, Walter had somehow misplaced his wallet.
Now we have had our share of "bad luck" on holidays.  Sick kids, poison oak, stolen cooler full of food, vehicle breakdowns and no access to a bank back in the day before ATM's and debit cards.
But to lose a wallet on vacation is a real bummer!  So we scanned the sidewalk and then Walter went in to the store where he had last used his credit card. I personally had my doubts that anyone would turn it in; I felt pretty skeptical and cynical-probably an indication that I needed to be on vacation and get my perspective realigned!
Maybe it was there...
As Walter inquired of the clerk at the till, she said, "Yes, a lady just came in here with a wallet, asking if anyone had come in looking for it."  So Walter was able to track down the woman and she gladly gave it back to him. 
The woman was maybe thirty-ish, First Nations likely from one of the reserves near Fort Qu'Appelle.  Walter noticed she must have rifled through it, although he had little cash, but none of the I.D. or credit cards were missing.  Because she had been honest, Walter wanted to bless her.
So, as I sat in the car, he went to the nearest bank and withdrew some money to pay her a reward.  Perhaps that looked a little sketchy, a middle-aged man taking money out to pay a younger woman who may or may not have some street life experience!?!  But it was all in public and he felt the need to use the opportunity to share something positive with this lady.
"You ever heard of "Tribal Trails?"  Walter asked her, as he handed her the cash.  She nodded affirmatively.  "Well, I am the Director of the organization that puts on that TV show...and you have just helped that program out by returning my wallet!  Here's my business card."  The lady took the card and looked a little confused.  "Do you see how God is maybe trying to get your attention through this?  I want you to know that God used your honesty and now He is wanting you to think about how you can know Him."
The woman was sheepish, maybe a little unsure as this man would more than likely be accusing her of taking something out of the wallet (and later Walter noticed some Cuban pesos he had were missing but that would be pretty useless and disappointing to her once she realized it!). 
Back at the car, Walter explained the encounter to me and we both were so relieved that the lost was found. We prayed for this stranger and we thanked God for His hand on the whole situation. Maybe another "lost one" would be found for the Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment