Monday 6 November 2017

To keep my devotional life active and alive, I've been reading books on the disciplines of the quiet time and prayer.  It's not that I have lost interest in the Lord or find my times boring; it is that in our new routines and ever-changing weekly schedules, I am very challenged to find the time to seek the Lord!  So to keep my motivation up, I found some books that have small reading portions and lots of questions that get me digging into the Scriptures.
As we drove from Nipawin to Regina - following an exciting and busy missions conference at the Bible College, I mentioned to Walter that I missed how the Lord would give us Scriptures and insight into our initial weeks serving with both Healing Hearts and NCEM.  Almost daily God would reveal something very relevant to our new areas of responsibility. So I was wondering if I wasn't hearing from the Lord, or maybe we were to just continue to serve as His Word had already shown the path we were to follow.
Then this morning as I turned to the next chapter in my study book entitled "Intercessory Prayer", the author focused on Ephesians 6:10-18.  Ever since I first read and memorized this passage back in 1985, it has been very meaningful to me.  That summer, I was serving for 6 weeks in a small village near The Pas, Manitoba (Young's Point) and our supervisor assigned this Scripture as part of our training and experience in the Native village.
When I began to read it today, I immediately saw how it applied to a couple of situations we have been praying for recently.  The question was "What is the armor of God?" and my answer was "It is the spiritual protection that God provides through Jesus' victory on the cross and over the grave."  Suddenly, I could envision the individuals I was praying for arming themselves to battle each other, instead of battling the real enemy, Satan!  Disagreements, divisions and disunity are all instigated by the invisible arrows that the devil aims at us.  But he deceives us into thinking the arrows are coming from each other and then we launch our counter-attack.  By our words, attitudes, avoidance or all-out offense, we might attack our friends, family, co-workers, even our spouse.  And the armour of God doesn't protect us when we engage with warfare that we aim at flesh and blood. 
I am so, SO grateful that the Lord heard my wishful longing yesterday as I voiced my desire to hear from Him.  I experienced a renewed vision and vitality for prayer this morning.
"...and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication."  (Ephesians 6:17 & 18)


No comments:

Post a Comment