Monday 11 September 2017

I've been  home for over a week now and have done some intentional things to ground myself again.
To back up to last Friday, after our daughter checked out the NCEM headquarters, we were driving the four hour trip to Regina when we got a call.  My Auntie Verna passed away.
Our next week's schedule changed.
We connected with our Healing Hearts Regina staff and activities.  After the scattered routines of summer, it was very good to catch up with our coworkers and plan for the upcoming 23rd anniversary of Healing Hearts Ministries on September 10.  Also, my cousin asked if my sister Paula and I would join her singing group, "The Kindred Spirits", to sing at Auntie Verna's memorial service on Friday. So that confirmed I would stay home all week to I could practice with the other ladies and be prepared for Friday.  Walter went up Wednesday for his Executive meeting (I usually take the minutes for the meeting but another could do that).  He spoke in chapel also and took care of business in the office before driving home Thursday afternoon.  Wow, what a guy!
While Walter was away, I took that time to do some "me" stuff, like going to Curves, starting a new devotional study book, practiced some music for the funeral and for Sunday's anniversary service.  I got to have a coffee with a friend, too.  It was nice to relax and not be on the road.
Friday morning, Walter, Caylea and I drove down to Radville, about an hour and a half south of Regina.  I enjoyed the drive in the country, past the turn-offs for my other relatives' farms and small towns.  Combines were running.  Harvest time in Saskatchewan is always special to Walter and myself as we are country folk at heart!
We were there in plenty of time to relax, visit a little and be prepared for the service.  It was a nice service, and our musical part went well.  Auntie Verna was one of four sisters in my Dad's family.  She was a hard-working farm wife, and she would keep my sister and myself during summer when our Dad had to work.  I remember her amazing meals, picking raspberries and peas in the garden, playing with cousin Julie - she had the coolest Barbies and knew all the latest songs. I was especially glad to see and chat briefly with lots of cousins.
My step mom, Dinah, drove down with her son, Lance.  She had been a great friend with Auntie Verna, even before she had married Dad.  They grew up in the same area, curled together; in later years they were golf buddies and would visit in each others homes back and forth, particularly after they had both lost their husbands.  Dinah found it a tough funeral and Caylea made sure she was okay.  After we had finished lunch and had our fill of chatter and heat, we gave Dinah a ride back to the city.  It was good to debrief and reminisce after a family event; that is our Sanders way!
Saturday we got up and went to participate in the "Work Day" at HHM.  We cleaned and sorted and did two dump runs to prepare for the anniversary.  The place looked amazing inside and out by 3 pm. We were so encouraged by the enthusiastic crew that showed up!
Sunday we celebrated with a good number at the service.  Gina Marie, Caylea, Keziah and I played and sang the song "By Faith", written by Keith and Kristen Gettys.  Walter preached on Vision and Intimacy with God, kind of an odd combination for a sermon but it fit with where we have been and where we continue to see God leading.  Again, we were blessed and encouraged by those who came and pitched in for the service and the BBQ to follow.  It was a bit breezy, but we ate outside.
Now today...Monday!  A true day off.  We are staying home this week, as well, with Caylea's oncologist appointment on Wednesday, company coming for the weekend and preparations for our HHM staff conference in 10 days.
Take a breath.  I feel like today is a processing day.  Grief, memories, celebrations, future dreams and plans...and uncertainty with Caylea's treatments and upcoming scans to see how she is doing after one year of Interferon.
Good thing we have the Lord who knows our way, who knows our needs and who loves us with an everlasting love.

No comments:

Post a Comment