Thursday 26 January 2017

From the stage at the front of the gymnasium/auditorium, I stood among forty or more men and women.  The crowd rose and clapped for us.  Each of us carried a flag representing nations of the world and had marched up the aisle to assemble on the stage.  My heart was stirred!
This was the opening flag ceremony for the Missions Conference at Millar College of the Bible.
                       *****                   *****                   *****
With such a busy week before and more travel after this conference, I felt a little stretched.  We had quickly repacked from our Nipawin visit and drove the 2 1/2 hours to Pambrun, Saskatchewan.  Walter and I would be staying in separate accommodations as the attendance was large this year.  I felt tired and Walter was nursing a sore throat so we came less than fresh.  But I trusted God to provide for our energy and ability to connect well.
Our co-workers arrived just as we were setting up the display in the gymnasium.  They added their prayer cards and other items to represent their ministries in Healing Hearts.  I was beginning to get more excited as we met other mission reps and renewed relationships with staff members of the college.
This year, Walter had been asked to participate in a panel discussion dealing with the topic of success in First Nations ministry.  I was involved in a panel on the value of women in missions.  And together, we would be taking one of the children's sessions (ages 5-10).  And then we would be leaving early so we could drive out to Salmon Arm for the next missions conference held  at the Millar College Campus at Sunnybrae.
Walter was losing his voice by the time of the kids' session so we conscripted our friend, Bill from our Bible school days to do the story. I still played guitar and led some songs and Walter used his "magic" stick illustration to tell the Gospel with the wordless book colours.  It went pretty well!  And we played "Duck, Duck, Goose" until the parents came to pick up the kids!
It would be easy to focus on the busy-ness of the conference, the rushed schedule we had and the many students that we tried to have meaningful conversations with...but the moment that confirms why we do this, why we leave home, set up displays and stand around at a booth among 30 other mission organizations was that flag ceremony.
                     *****                     *****                       *****
Facing almost 400 students and guests at the college, I was overcome with emotion.  These people were paying us honour as missionaries;  I was among some very special servants of God. And I was doing the very thing I had longed to do as a 20-something year old Bible school student back in the 1980's.  The Lord had given me the desires of my heart and the opportunity to encourage other young adults to obey Him and the Great Commission of Matthew 28.
"Then Jesus came to them and said, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you..."


No comments:

Post a Comment