Monday 22 February 2016

"We're just taking one day at a time."
I have heard that phrase, even sung the song by that title, but this past week I have learned a little bit more as to what that actually means.
One week ago yesterday, Walter and I shared in the time of my Grandpa's passing into the next life.  We both ended up getting a cold/flu, so we gave ourselves permission to do the least we could do for a couple days.  We anticipated a quiet week and then participating in Grandpa Glen's funeral, set for Friday.
Then I received a prayer chain item:  14-year old Matthew Teichrib had a cold or flu and was now being rushed by ambulance to Winnipeg Children's Hospital.  The next news was a text from Mark and Amy (this is Amy's little brother), that they were driving from near Nipawin to Winnipeg to see Matt.  I sat up and took notice.  From assuming Matt just needed some IV to rehydrate and maybe tests or observation to this is a bigger deal!  We began to pray in earnest and send out the request on more prayer chains.
As Mark and Amy drove the 8 or 9 hours through Tuesday night, Walter and I could not sleep soundly, waiting for a text or phone call to update on Matthew.
The next text late at night was Matt's heart stopped; they resuscitated him but now he's in a coma.  Shortly after, we heard they would attempt dialysis as his kidneys were failing. With each update, the news grew worse and we felt almost sick with worry for our kids driving and for the Teichrib's watching their son and brother fading...
When I checked my cell phone by my bed in the morning, the news was what we dreaded most:  Matthew passed away at about 6 am on Wednesday.  How could that be?
For most of the day, Walter and I functioned in a fog.  Mark & Amy spent the day in Winnipeg with relatives, being fed and given a chance to sleep.  Most of the family had been up over 24 hours.  Then that evening around supper time, Mark and Amy called.
Through tears and shock and pain, they shared the events and what little the medical staff knew about what Matthew had been suffering with.  It was a mystery.  They planned to drive to the home farm, and knowing it would be so emotional, they wanted to call us before.  Not knowing exactly what lie ahead, for Mark and Amy were to be moving from Torch Trail Bible Camp to Silversides in Alberta, Mark simply said, "We're taking one day at a time."
Although this loss is not our direct loss, Matt's sudden passing is affecting us and our family deeply.  On top of my Grandpa's death that was expected, and then another death in a family in Regina that Walter often serves as pastor and funeral officiant, we began to feel overwhelmed!
One thing that I know, God does give us what we need, when we need it!
Each day, He provides our daily bread.  Physically, yes, but also emotionally and spiritually.  As much as possible, we keep our daily devotional time, eat and sleep and try to take care of ourselves.  But ultimately, the Lord must be our strength, our shield, our all.
On Friday at Grandpa's funeral service, someone came up to me to ask about Matthew, concerned and caring for us, as well.  All I could say is "I am just focusing on today and getting through this service!"    It wasn't that I was overwhelmed anymore, but I wanted to grieve Grandpa well, and engage with my family there while we were gathered together.
The Scripture in Matthew's Gospel, chapter 6, had blessed me earlier in the week and it may have been my theme.  "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (6:34)
I choose to live today, not worrying about tomorrow's burdens but being present in the "present."  Yes, we have to plan in order to get ourselves to Manitoba today and be prepared for the next funeral service.  But God's grace will be sufficient for our needs today and then He'll pour out more grace when we get to tomorrow.
Matt's service is at 2 pm, Tuesday, February 23 in Gladstone, Manitoba.
"One day at a time, sweet Jesus..."

No comments:

Post a Comment