Monday 15 September 2014

Today was the "day after" a big event.  I felt tired and emotionally spent.  The excitement of the 20th anniversary celebration - with all the participating in the service, greeting people and helping put on the BBQ meal afterwards - drained away.  And I was left feeling "blah" about everything!
I wish I knew the secret to being calm and even-keeled.
Sometimes I get myself so worked up before a special occasion that I can hardly sleep.  Just like a kid on Christmas Eve!  Then I work like crazy during that day or two and exhaust myself completely.
At the same time, I don't want to be "ho-hum" about things that ought to bring great joy and pleasure in life.  I want to experience events, not just get through them!
So here I am - on the "day after" - and wondering how to recover.  Resting today was not really possible.  Company.  Daughter's medical appointment.  Preparing a couple meals.
I am thinking of Jesus' conversation with the Samaritan woman.  He promised her living water.  He told the woman if she drank this water, she'd never thirst again.
Then there is the reference to the psalmist being like a deer, panting for the Lord's refreshing.
And again, the image of pilgrims to Jerusalem, going from pools of water as from "strength to strength".
The Lord knows I am dry and empty.  He is aware of my spiritual and emotional tank being on "E"...not to mention the physical tiredness that is setting in.  I know my Shepherd will lead me beside the quiet waters to restore my soul.
Lord, I choose to give You my joy and thankfulness, as well as my fatigue.  I have celebrated; now I wait on You to fill up what was used up.
In a day or two, I will be ready for the next event:  Healing Hearts Annual Staff Conference!
'Lord, I am a vessel; use me as You will.  Make of me a vessel You can use and bless and fill."
(More of You by One Accord)

No comments:

Post a Comment