Saturday 23 August 2014

Cooking for 50 inner city kids and 30 counselors and support staff is not for the faint of heart! Although I was doubting whether I could handle 'head cook' this summer, I received some unexpected blessings from the Lord as I said "Yes" to the job.
First of all, I was joined by 3 very capable, competent and experienced women to assist me in the kitchen.  Any of these ladies has been or could be lead cook for a much larger group, so I felt very confident in their abilities and suggestions.  What a wonderful gift to be surrounded by a "dream team"~we were able to work together with ease and have lots of fun doing it!
Secondly, each morning after breakfast, our kitchen team lingered over a second cup of coffee to read some Scripture and pray.  How rich to share sweet fellowship in Christ!  I felt humbled by the wisdom and maturity of each of my fellow cooks.  These moments strengthened us to serve and we all testified to feeling God's strength when our own energy was spent!
Thirdly, even though I was not able to be directly involved in the campers' lives, I received a few hugs, some "thank you's" for the yummy food and witnessed some challenging and needy children be so touched by love and grace.  Girls like "Sam" who has grown up in a very unhealthy environment, but has incredible insight into Scripture...boys like "Ryan" who has a high-functioning form of autism but responded to caring and gentleness... kids who attended Inner City Camp and now have returned as junior staff who feel significant and wanted and needed in the camp community...
So many other blessings come as a bonus-the beautiful Last Mountain Lake lapping against shore, the pelicans, ducks and other water birds bobbing on the water or soaring through the air, the laughter and squeals of excited children being themselves!
Not to mention, free "tuck" everyday (canteen treats) and camp songs running constantly through my head!
Lasting memories of special days.
Now I am back home resting my sore feet and enjoying peace and quiet.  But I am treasuring the unexpected blessings as loving gifts from my Heavenly Father for a time when I thought I wouldn't be able to make it through the physical and mental rigors of camp ministry!
I might even consider going back next year... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment