Sunday 2 March 2014

PSALM 122:1
"I rejoiced with those who said to me, 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'"
Back in 1980-81, I was going to highschool (grade 9) at Campbell Collegiate in Regina.  It was a year of change and transition for me.  My mom was attending university full-time to complete her Bachelor of Education degree and we had moved to the city for the school year.  I had to transition from a rural school, being one of the older students in junior high, to being a lowly "freshman" in a huge urban highschool!  To top it off, I had been diagnosed with scholiosis, a curvature of the spine.  The treatment was to wear a full back brace made of metal and plastic that went from my chin down to my hips.  I felt like a freak in a foreign land and wondered how I would survive that year!
Several weekends that fall, winter and into spring, my sister and I would visit our Grandma and aunts in small town Saskatchewan (Parry).  If we left right after school, we could be at Grandma's for supper and then I could go to youth group.  I'd never been part of a church or youth group before and had some adjusting to do to behave appropriately!  I had a bit of a mouth on me and occasionally while playing sports or games, I'd let an "adjective" fly that did not suit the company!  But I felt very accepted there and what else was there to do when my best friend in Parry was going to youth?
Come Sunday morning, I'd tag along with Sheri and her family to Sunday School at 10 am and then worship service at 11 am.  I'd rush to Grandma's for lunch and then our family attended church at 1:15 pm at the other church in town.  On those weekends, I'd have my share of religion!
But soon, I began asking questions of the youth leader, Cliff, and took more than a casual interest in the Bible studies on Friday nights.  Why were there different churches?  How did a person know if the Bible was true?  What about heaven and hell?  During this year when my life was in a very transitional and tender place, I was introduced to faith and a Person, Jesus Christ.
That Christmas, I received a full Bible of my own (I had a Gideon's New Testament but was missing that whole first half!).  If I missed youth group on a Friday, Cliff would send me the Bible study lesson.  My eyes and heart were curious and open to more than just fun on a Friday night.  And somehow God got my attention.
Spring turned into summer.  Mom had convocated from the U. of R. and was applying for teaching positions in or near Regina.  But the school she accepted a position for primary teacher was two hours away from the city, away from my new friends and even further from the church and youth group connection I had formed.  I was angry and frustrated with yet another change in my life!
One July afternoon, I remember lying on the waterbed in my Dad's basement, pondering my life and the new things I'd been learning.  I could not really control the circumstances in my life:  my parents were divorced and Mom was a single parent needing to support her two daughters.  We had to move.  But this Jesus: I could choose if I wanted to follow Him!  He would never leave me.  He promised to forgive my sins and prepare a place for me in heaven.  Maybe I could find a church and hopefully another youth group!
So, lying on that waterbed, I decided to accept what John 14:6 said as Cliff had helped me to understand.  "Jesus said,'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me.'"  No fireworks.  Just a decision.
A few days later, Cliff was going to be in the city and wondered if he could bring me a copy of the last Bible study.  So when I saw him, he asked how my week had been and how I was doing.  He was aware of my family circumstances and that I'd be moving.  So I calmly and casually answered, "Well, I prayed that prayer.  I accepted Jesus."
Then there were fireworks!  Cliff grinned and about jumped out of his skin!  His excitement caught me off guard as I thought my decision was logical and made sense.  But his joy at my new-found faith made me realize it was more than a mental choice-this was a life-changing and emotional decision!  If I had known the spiritual investment Cliff had made in my life and all the church folks that were praying for me, then I would have have understood his happy-dance reaction!  The following week, Cliff brought me a little devotional book and gave me a crash-course in daily Bible reading and prayer.  That was my lifeline in the next month or two of moving and registering in a new highschool in small town Saskatchewan once again.
So, I went from attending 3 hours of church on a Sunday and a couple hours of youth group on Friday nights, to a new community where there was no youth ministry and only an hour service on Sunday mornings.  It took a few months before I found another youth group where I was able to learn and grow under the wisdom of caring youth leaders.
So when I read Psalm 122 verse 1, I still feel that familiar stirring in my heart.  I love to go to church!  For me, it means more than sitting through boring songs or long sermons.  The family of God and the teaching of His Word made such a difference in my life at a time I needed the strength of a Saviour.  The church represents to me a place of belonging and love and truth when my life could have taken a drastic turn for the worst!  When someone says, "Let's go to church"  I'm going!


No comments:

Post a Comment