Saturday 8 March 2014

I love Ladies' Retreats!
For over 15 years I have been going out to Cedar Springs Retreat Center, Washington U.S.A. and each time I meet with God.
The first year I was so distracted by my nervousness of flying.  But once I got to the beautiful mountain setting surrounded by gigantic cedar trees, I relaxed and soaked in the atmosphere.  In subsequent years, I took hikes with some ladies, or chose to take prayer walks alone.  I would write poetry as I stared at the pond, or take slips of paper in my pocket with memory verses to meditate on as I wandered the paths.
Some years I connected with certain friends and made intentional efforts to share and listen.  Other years, I came exhausted and focused on quiet times and naps!
This year was an intimate group of about 20 women.  We had fun with the theme of "Memory Lane", hearing testimonies from women who had joined our mission (NAIM) in different decades, starting with the 1960's.  We modeled fashions from our decades and laughed!  We learned sixties dances, did aneighties workout routine with Jane Fonda, and had movie nights to watch some classics.
The overarching theme of God's faithfulness over the years was woven throughout as we sang worship choruses, hymns and camp songs that have been meaningful to us.
In previous years, I have been part of planning the retreat and found myself to feel not as refreshed when I was in charge of music or MC responsibilities.  But it is a privilege to serve the Lord and His dedicated servants.  And those who served us this year are to be commended for blessing us who were able to sit back and relax!
One special benefit of being part of this retreat time is the ministry of the guest speaker.  In some years I've had individual time with the speaker to help process some of ministry challenges and personal issues.  Being a smaller group this year, I was able to spend a generous amount of time processing my Dad's passing with Robin, a trained counselor and minister to missionaries and pastor's wives, in particular.  I felt that God orchestrated that for me.  How precious to know God's love and care for me in such a personal way!
I consider Ladies' Retreat a success if I have laughed, cried and eaten way too much-Retreat 2014 was definitely a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment