Thursday 7 March 2024

The soft flakes of snow drifted and swirled outside my window.  I sat in the comfort of my dining room with a hot cup of coffee, curling my hands around the warmth. Only a couple of days ago the winds were creating a white-out and we couldn't see the powerlines just a hundred metres from our backyard!  Today the gently falling snow had a calming effect on my spirit.

I gazed at the smooth blanket of white, spread like icing on a slightly lumpy cake.  The sun began to appear in the sky, the blue breaking through the clouds.  And then on the creamy surface, sunlight created glitter, like diamonds on the snow.

A single sparrow, grey and brown, constrasted against the pure white background.  The small bird, common and ordinary, alighted on the dark brown wicker patio chair.  Perched on the back of the partially buried chair, it cocked its head, hopped over and allowed another sparrow to join.  Always moving, they soon flew over to the birdfeeder hanging from our tamarack tree.  The long clear plastic feeder swayed with the weight of the birds, swinging them as they pecked at the seeds.   

Just as quickly, the birds startled and flew away.  I felt sad, my little friends leaving an emptiness.  I longed for spring when the geese would return, honking their arrival. The robins would sing their mating songs and search our yard for nest-building materials.  Blackbirds, grackles and sometimes yellow finches would make their appearance for a drink or a bath in our pond.

For now, I would marvel at the wintry wonders.  My heart perceived the glory of God through His beautiful creation: His gentleness in the soft snowflakes, His might through the storm earlier in the week,  His delight in the little creatures, His attention to detail to provide for their needs. 

Thank You, Lord, for revealing Yourself in the simple things.




No comments:

Post a Comment